The Best Advice??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

macattack Posts: 1617
As the title suggests what's the best advice you've ever been given on love, life or anything really?! It's a simple enough one but my Gran always said-"Love many, trust a few & always paddle your own canoe". I've never forgotten it & I would say it's served me well so far. Looking forward to some pearls of wisdom girls! O-O
Sodapop Posts: 3220
My mom told me this before my wedding and I got my Bridesmaid to read it out during the ceremony - thought it was lovely: LOVE TAKES TIME TIME TO GIVE A HUG OR SMILE TO STOP AND LISTEN FOR A WHILE TIME TO GIVE SUPPORT AND PRAISE TO LEARN AND GROW IN MANY WAYS TIME TO CELEBRATE GOOD NEWS TO SHARE IDEAS, EXPLORE NEW VIEWS TO SEE THINGS THROUGH ANOTHER’S EYES TO SACRIFICE, TO COMPROMISE TIME TO UNDERSTAND AND SHARE TIME TO SHOW HOW MUCH YOU CARE TIME TO MAKE SWEET MEMORIES LOVE TAKES TIME FOR ALL OF THESE
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
My English teacher, who was also my class teacher in the year I was badly bullied in school, wrote "this above all to thine own self be true" on a card to me after my Leaving Cert. It's been my motto ever since. Also, it might be a bit of a cliché, but my father loves the poem "If", by Rudyard Kipling, and always has a copy in his office. I have it on my wall too, and I read it when I need to lift my head up.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
One of my Aunts wrote in our wedding guest book "Don't sweat the small stuff" - good advice, I definitely heed this when picking my battles with DH :o0
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
My mam is a fountain of level headed pearls of wisdom. Like when I am giving out about my MIL she reminds me what a great job she did raising two wonderful sons; she may be a bad MIL but she did somethings right as a mother. She can't be all bad. She also says in life to always pick your battles...
PussyGalore Posts: 3388
My nana always told me to never go to sleep on a fight, to always make up My mother is not so good at advice, it's normally me advising her :o0
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
[quote="MrsDodders":ul7e7b53]My mam is a fountain of level headed pearls of wisdom. Like when I am giving out about my MIL she reminds me what a great job she did raising two wonderful sons; she may be a bad MIL but she did somethings right as a mother. She can't be all bad. She also says in life to always pick your battles...[/quote:ul7e7b53] I love this!! Very good point from your own mam about your MIL. Mine is from a friend who was consoling me last week after I was licking my wounds from a ''pal'' getting b*tchy with me over something silly (this "pal" is always picking rows with me and no one else, obvious personaility clash). [b:ul7e7b53]Real friends are like a precious diamond, you could look all your life and never find the genuine article, you might even be tricked and think you’ve got a real one but when you do you’ll know it and you’ll hold on to it’. Not that you can’t wear a fake from time to time but don’t expect it to last or sparkle like a real one[/b:ul7e7b53]
Wedding Cars Ireland Posts: 1970
[i:2m0g7ot2]Everything passes....[/i:2m0g7ot2]
happieout Posts: 3111
*) Nothing is ever good nor bad but thinking makes it so.
Kittyboo Posts: 1591
I have few little sayings/advise that I kinda go by.... "little apples will grow again" "look after your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" DH grandmother has LOADS of sayings......should really write them all down some day....