Menu

The do's, don'ts and in moderation!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Doozer28 Posts: 881
Anyone finding it hard to avoid things in early pregnancy???? Avoiding/ reducing my coffee intake is proving my first obstacle! It's become a routine in work, when & who makes the coffees. So far today I managed to switch my coffee for tea this morning & I just took a few sips out of the last one & its sitting on my desk 'gone cold'. Think I'll have to become a bit inventive over the next few weeks, that & carry decaff in my bag! Was having soup at my mums last night, asked for the butter & it was fecking Flora - the colesterol one- which isn't suitable for pregnant women, so had to go with out, thank god the kitchen was busy cause no one noticed!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
You can have 200 mg of caffeine per day which is about 2 instant coffees or 1 brewed.
Doozer28 Posts: 881
I know, but I found it easier the last time to cut it out all together, I still need to reduce it from what I was having, bit of a coffee fiend here! It's just one of those things that plays on my mind when I'm drinking it you know?
Grey Alien Posts: 699
[quote="Doozer28":2r5horrz]Anyone finding it hard to avoid things in early pregnancy???? Avoiding/ reducing my coffee intake is proving my first obstacle! It's become a routine in work, when & who makes the coffees. So far today I managed to switch my coffee for tea this morning & I just took a few sips out of the last one & its sitting on my desk 'gone cold'. Think I'll have to become a bit inventive over the next few weeks, that & carry decaff in my bag! Was having soup at my mums last night, asked for the butter & it was flipping Flora - the colesterol one- which isn't suitable for pregnant women, so had to go with out, thank god the kitchen was busy cause no one noticed![/quote:2r5horrz] Is Flora not suitable for pregnant women? I just had some today :eek :eek
katiebaby78 Posts: 679
Never knew flora wasn't for pregnant women nor would it deter me from using it if there was no butter. I changed nothing this time. Watched my coffee intake and capped it at 2 cups a day a maybe 2 teas but that's be the most, some days it could be 1 coffee and 1 tea. I cut out and obsessed about loads of stuff last time. A 2nd pregnancy is a different story though. My pregnacare tablets are forgotten very very regularly.
CherylC Posts: 1071
I never heard of the Flora one either! But if you don't want to eat/ drink something I'd do as you are doing and just not make a big deal of it. People are caught up in their own world and don't notice unless you draw attention to it.
pinkerbelle10 Posts: 705
Doozer - I gave up caffeine altogether - I drink both decaf tea and coffee since I was pg with DS - never went back on the caffeine. And I was a total coffee/caffeine fiend!! Addicted! I just always have some decaf tea or coffee in my bag now. I know its hard to hide in early pregnancy, but I used to say that caffeine was starting to give me headaches so I switched to decaf! Not sure how convinced people were, but they never questioned it!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I was way more relaxed the second time. I did stick to the general rules, like no pate, raw eggs, rare meat and I was careful what I ate. I still had tea/coffee (but naturally went off both a bit and switched to decaff coffee), medium rare meat and never worried about butter. I wouldn't worry too much, once you're not being reckless. I did take the pregnacare throughout pregnancy and I was on iron, was recommended to take both by my doctor.
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
I would say no alcohol no smoking, caffeine in moderation, only fully cooked meat & eggs. No food with uncooked egg or fish/meat. Everyone different & a lot of people go through pregnancy not knowing about certain stuff they should avoid & they are perfectly fine. Never heard the flora thing for instance!
hyperrational Posts: 697
Why no flora? I'm not big on the things you need to avoid anyway. Eggs are the only thing I really cut down on. I'm not into examining everything.