The dress- how soon is too soon???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FaerieBride Posts: 182
Hey wollies, According to my wedding countdown app its 23 months and 25 days to the big day and I'm super excited... have the church, priest and venue booked... now my attention is turning to... the dress... I know I know there should be a million other things I should be focusing on but I can't help it... everytime I go to look up bands and photographers etc I start straying to bridal websites... so much so in fact I'm thinking of making some apppointments in November to rule in / rule out certain styles... am I MAD?? is it far too soon??? will i drive myself crazy? what did ye girls do???
tk84 Posts: 14
I got mine when the wedding was 18 months away and like you I wasnt sure if it was too soon, but im glad I did. No regrets so far! No harm in looking at least.... :)
Drummergirl Posts: 210
Hi! I'm getting married in march 2013 & I started looking in November 2011. I eventually put my deposit down in June 2012 & collected my dress on Monday :) just need to bring it for fittings etc now! I'm glad I went so early as it gave me time to try on some & figure out what style suited me & then try different versions if that style. I ended up changing my mind twice & I'm delighted with my choice now! I was afraid that I would get sick of the dress if I chose it too early but that hasn't happened. I say go as soon as u want to! It's a great feeling.... Best of luck!! :)
chick2012 Posts: 584
i started looking around 18months before hand but i did try on a few about 2yrs ahead! Just for fun really :o)ll
AquariusGal Posts: 512
I got mine 13 months before the wedding and my mum thought I was mad :o0 To be honest, I think if you find a dress you really, really love, I don't think it matters how far in advance you get it!
HippyChic Posts: 1812
I bought what has turned out to be my wedding dress a full two years before we were even engaged! I say if you like it, and if you're sure about your sizing (i.e. you don't plan on losing/gaining two stone between now and the wedding) then go for it! Some of the styles you love now will not be available then, they'll be two years out of date. That said, something could be in style in 23 months and 25 days that you ADORE that isn't being done now. However, you could always sell the dress you buy now and buy a newer one then. Final word of warning: I've read lots of posts on here from brides who bought their dress far in advance and by the time they came near the wedding they didn't want to wear it anymore as they'd been looking at it for too long and the excitement had worn off. Just something to bear in mind.
lollypopwife Posts: 836
[quote="HippyChic":37k4ff1j] Final word of warning: I've read lots of posts on here from brides who bought their dress far in advance and by the time they came near the wedding they didn't want to wear it anymore as they'd been looking at it for too long and the excitement had worn off. Just something to bear in mind.[/quote:37k4ff1j] +1 Something to keep in mind. I started looking with 12months to go and found the dress within a month. But since then I have not tried on another one, nor do I look online or pay much attention to them in magazines. I don't even look at the model pics of mine too often! It also look different on me than the model so I don't want to be put off by her. So if you do buy way in advance, keep the magic by not getting bored with it or teasing yourself looking elsewhere. Unless you have the budget to buy two should the worst happen! :o0 I would also agree about being sure of your size - ok dresses can be taken in but your dress size could influence your choice too. I decided to lose weight before dress hunting and lost almost 2 stone. I chose a style of dress I couldn't have even looked at my original weight and size. You will see plenty who buy in advance and it works out fine too, just be aware of the perils and enjoy it whenever you do!! :hyper:
stupidname2013 Posts: 924
My friend bought her dress at least two years in advance, there are no hard and fast rules as long as you don't mind running the risk of buying it and not liking it in 2 years...however, there are people on here that have bought their dress and not liked it 5 minutes later, so there are never any guarantees!! Just make sure to try on every style...never in a million years would I have looked at my dress in a picture and said that's 'the one'...but I loved it when I tried it on!! Same the opposite way, I was sure I wanted a knee-length dress but I've ended up with a massive ballgown!!! Good luck!!
vegaswedding Posts: 208
I started looking 18 months in advance and bought the dress as a sample with 12 months to go so I brought it home with me, a few weeks later I was panicking over if I still liked it. we've changed our wedding plans and the dress isn't suitable at all so I'm now selling. I do think you run the risk of seeing something you like closer to the time and doubt will be in your mind.
AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
23 months would be too early for me and I'm sure some of the Bridal boutiques might not give you as much time as brides that are 12/14 months to go. But if you find "the one" and your 100% sure its the one go for it, but remember to not keep looking at dresses in shops or online or in magazines, its a recipe for disaster.