The first few days after giving birth...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hubbaz Posts: 99
This might be a silly question but I'm hoping to be sent home early under the early release scheme all going well so I will probably have most visitors at home instead of the hospital. For the first few days at home, would I be ok to wear pjs or a nightdress and dressing gown or should I wear 'clothes'?! I reckon if I was still in hospital I'd be ok in nightwear but is that ok when you're at home?
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
Wear whatever you feel comfortable in and don't worry about anyone else. If you want to wear pjs then wear. Everybody will be too busy cooing over the new baby to notice anyway. Personally I don't feel right when I'm in pjs so I got dressed every morning but wore comfy clothes like loose trousers or trackies :wv :wv
Joleigh Posts: 4242
Saydee when I had DS I had a couple of nice pairs of PJ's in a size bigger than normal. I wore them around the house so that when visitors called they remembered I just gave birth! If you're up and dressed and look to well people will presume theres not a bother on you and expect you to be making tea and possibly outstay their welcome. I was much more comfy in PJ's plus if you get the chance for a snooze you can just hop into bed. I bought a comfy tracksuit too. I was home within 24 hours of having baba and would have def been in pjs if I was still in hospital.
PetiteFeet Posts: 506
That was one of my fav things about the first week or so after DD was born! I would get up have a shower and then put on ANOTHER pair of pjs!! I love wearing my pjs anyway so any excuse for me!! Do whatever you feel comfortable doing, if thats pjs, go for it, sod everyone else!!
pag Posts: 633
I came home on early transfer so was home within 24 hours. We had loads of visitors the week after and I just wore whatever I was comfy in. Most days my uniform was supportive string vest, cardigan and lounge trousers or dark pjs that looked like tracksuit bottoms. No one is going to care what you are are wearing so wear whatever you want.
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
Wear whatever you'll be comfortable in! I had a section, so my belly was very sore and swollen so I couldn't wear trackies or pj bottoms for a while, and it was the middle of a heatwave, so I had a loose cotton gypsy skirt with a big stretchy panel at the top and a long t-shirt which I found great for bf. And don't forget, just because you're home, it doesn't mean you have to have visitors if you don't want them! Only the grandparents came to the hospital, and only once. I got home on the Thursday morning and DH rang every member of the families to tell them they weren't allowed come over til the Sunday (except my Mammy who was allowed over on Saturday!).
strangeangel Posts: 1269
[quote="PaniniRoses":1ixjgbwu] And don't forget, just because you're home, it doesn't mean you have to have visitors if you don't want them! Only the grandparents came to the hospital, and only once. I got home on the Thursday morning and DH rang every member of the families to tell them they weren't allowed come over til the Sunday (except my Mammy who was allowed over on Saturday!).[/quote:1ixjgbwu] Definitely. Of course if you're happy to have them, fire away. Just don't get stuck feeling like you have to entertain and make cups of tea. I came home the day after and apart from my immediate family, we had no other visitors for a while (apart from the community midwives who were amazing). I just felt fairly overwhelmed and I think baby was 2 weeks before other visitors started coming and I felt better able to handle it. I wore pj pants and long sleeved t-shirts for the first while. Whatever you feel comfortable in and don't worry what others think.
blueboots Posts: 833
Think i was in PJ's for the first 6 weeks :o0
tilsun Posts: 4506
I also think that pjs are a great way of reminding guests that you are not totally back to your old self and therefore should not be running around making tea or entertaining for hours on end. I'm stocking up on nice sets now :wv