'The girl who became 3 boys' on channel 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybambino Posts: 940
Did anybody see this, I'm watching it on 4OD and it's so scary. Two 15 year old friends had relationships with their best friend who disguised herself as a boy. They conducted the relationships mainly online and the amount of personal information they were putting on Facebook was frightening. If my daughter wants to use social media before she's 18 I'll make sure I have her password so I know exactly what she's putting out there.
katief Posts: 1900
Yeah, and Im unsure of the hype around it. apparently they were traumatised and scarred. That girl needs help, not prison.
nelswife Posts: 3869
I forgot that was one, raging i missed it, i read about it a couple of months ago, scary stuff! Do you know if it will be repeated?
[quote="katief":3m1tcd5r]Yeah, and Im unsure of the hype around it. apparently they were traumatised and scarred. That girl needs help, not prison.[/quote:3m1tcd5r] The whole thing was bizzare, the girls were meeting these "boys" in the local park or under a tree in their housing estate, they were so naive. The girl who was sexually assualted is very happy now with her new boyfriend who she met the exact same way-on MSN messenger and Facebook! There was very little sympathy for the girl who impersonated the boys, it was all about the 2 girls she deceived. I agree she needs help, instead of looking at why she might do something like that the programme treated it more like fascination with what a weirdo she was, I felt quite sorry for her.
[quote="nelswife":1owqnuql]I forgot that was one, raging i missed it, i read about it a couple of months ago, scary stuff! Do you know if it will be repeated?[/quote:1owqnuql] You can watch it on 4OD:
nelswife Posts: 3869
[quote="babybambino":2n58av49][quote="nelswife":2n58av49]I forgot that was one, raging i missed it, i read about it a couple of months ago, scary stuff! Do you know if it will be repeated?[/quote:2n58av49] You can watch it on 4OD: [/quote:2n58av49] Thank you! :thnk
FinallyMrsM Posts: 899
[quote="babybambino":3mnz4geu] The whole thing was bizzare, the girls were meeting these "boys" in the local park or under a tree in their housing estate, they were so naive. The girl who was sexually assualted is very happy now with her new boyfriend who she met the exact same way-on MSN messenger and Facebook! There was very little sympathy for the girl who impersonated the boys, it was all about the 2 girls she deceived. I agree she needs help, instead of looking at why she might do something like that the programme treated it more like fascination with what a weirdo she was, I felt quite sorry for her.[/quote:3mnz4geu] +1, I agree this was completely bizarre, the red haired girl, thought it was normal that her 'boyfriend' didn't talk to her and would text her!!! I tend to have more sympathy for Gemma and the girl who remained faceless. I think the other one was very attention seeking. I couldn't believe it when she introduced her new boyfriend whom she met the same way, my jaw dropped, has she learned nothing??
katief Posts: 1900
and I dont think it should be a criminnal offense to not disclose your gender. It reinforces the stigma attached to transgendered people and labels it as dirty and wrong. that judge is bang out of order.
mamabrod Posts: 830
I thought this was v bizarre, I have huge sympathy for the girls involved but my god they were v naive werent they? specifically the girl who said one of the 'boys' never spoke to her and only communicated via texts.....all v odd!!!
NittyGritty Posts: 1605
[quote="katief":1qw3xwhc]and I dont think it should be a criminnal offense to not disclose your gender. It reinforces the stigma attached to transgendered people and labels it as dirty and wrong. that judge is bang out of order.[/quote:1qw3xwhc] She wasn't convicted for failure to disclose her gender. She was convicted of sexual assault and fraud. The former charge due to the fact she repeatedly forced herself on one of the girls with her hands and a dildo, despite being told no. While it should not be a criminal offense to choose not to disclose one's gender, I think it should certainly be a criminal offense to dupe someone into a sexual relationship while believing they are having the relationship with their gender of choice. It's a frightening case that highlights the naivety and neediness of some teenagers. It's also frightening to think that a girl like Gemma Barker can go through life with such disturbing psychological problems and no-one ever suspecting or noticing. She needs professional help, not jail time. I hope she's getting it.