Menu

The Merrion hotel Dublin??

Go to Feedback

Cazzado
New Wolly

Postby Cazzado » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Hey again,

Dont be stressed about the day it will all work out great.
Paris is such a beautiful place,you will love it.
We were thinking of Brazil,not 100% sure yet.Hope you have a fantastic wedding and please if you remember,let me know how it all goes!
Best of luck :wv

Summer Bride 07
New Wolly

Merrion Wedding

Postby Summer Bride 07 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Ashchurchprincess and Cazzado. I'm also going to get married this summer at the Merrion. O-O I couldn't find any information until now other than what hotel told me. But what a beautiful place. We're going to go to the registry office and then to hotel. We only went to see The Merrion last week and have a couple of dates in July to choose from but like you both, was worried re:evening entertainment and a bit about getting guests from Reg Office to Hotel. Was thinking of having a piano for drinks reception, then a small three piece jazz band for after but don't know how this would be. Hotel do say they have an agent who knows their listed building regs ....... Would be very interested in hearing how you pianist went during the meal and who you used Ashchurchprincess. Will the piano be in the room where the meal is or from the other room at front of hotel. hope you don't mind me asking but just so glad that someone else getting married their too. *)

Cazzado
New Wolly

Postby Cazzado » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Hello summer bride 07,

Thats great that your getting married in The Merrion,it really is beautiful.I have a little longer to wait for my wedding,14 months to go!!!!
Could you tell me what exactly there entertainment restrictions are?
:-8
I was going to ring again tomorrow and double check!
But dont want to be annoying them as mine is so far away!!!!
The jazz band would be great,Blacktye are suppose to be good,if that helps.
Best of luck anyways and as i asked ashchurchprincess,please let me know how it goes :thnk

ashchurchprincess
New Wolly

Postby ashchurchprincess » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi Summerbride,
Good to hear from another Merrion bride! :wv I think the pianist will be in a room different to the one where we're having the meal, we're using the Wellesley room and the Fitzgerald room (one for dinner, other for after-dinner drinks etc), they're side by side. The pianist we've booked is Jim Boggins - am a bit worried though bacause I've never heard him play! :eek
We're organising everything from London, so have had to take a chance on this...anyway the coordinator there said he's great, and plays all the kinds of music we wanted (Ella Fitzgerald/Sinatra stuff).

Anyway I'll let you know how it all goes, good luck with everything! :wv

Summer Bride 07
New Wolly

Postby Summer Bride 07 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi Cazzado & Ashchurchprincess. Thank you both for your replies. Cazzado, we were told that you just can't have amplified music, they seemed happy enough with anything acoustic within reason.

Ashchurchprincess, are those the two rooms on the ground floor ?? Think thats where we'll be too, overlooking box hedge garden ?? Very pretty. Are you having your drinks reception outside if weather fine ?? Was wondering whether to have music or not out there ?? Can't imagine piano would go out, but was thinking strings ? Sorry with all the music questions.

If your pianist is through the co-ordinator I think you'll be fine as my other half uses the same agency the hotel does for events and has always been impressed. How long will you have him for ?? I didn't think to ask the hotel how long we have room and service for.

Cazzado
New Wolly

Postby Cazzado » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:42 am

We were told last drinks will be at 11.30,but everyone can stay in room for a while after that,she didn't say an exact time.
O-O

Service Finder
ashchurchprincess
New Wolly

Postby ashchurchprincess » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:07 pm

Yeah, our reception rooms are on the ground floor - I didn't even notice the box hedge garden! We are having the drinks reception outside, please God the weather will be alright! We've planned to use our iPod playlist at this time, but we need to check if this will work for outdoors. I think having strings out there would be really lovely. We're having the pianist from about 9 till 11.30 pm.

Am a bit worried about menu selections - we can't come to a tasting, as we live in London - is it madness not to have a menu tasting? I'm presuming the food there will be good!?

:wv

Cazzado
New Wolly

Postby Cazzado » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 pm

Hey ashchurchprincess,

Will you let me know how your ipod playlist goes outdoors?
I was gonna steal that idea :-8

Cheers x

Summer Bride 07
New Wolly

Postby Summer Bride 07 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Merrion Brides. Was away for the last couple of days on a break to Killarney. Was beautiful with sunny weather. Stayed in a hotel of same group as Merrion - def. recommend it.

I wouldn't worry re: food tasting at the hotel Ashchurchprincess as food reputation excellent. If we get to do a tasting beforehand i'll let you know, but think you'll be fine.

Would love to know if your ipod playlist works outside. Great to know re:pianist. 9.00-11.30 sounds reasonable.

Hope u are both enjoying the nice weather.

ashchurchprincess
New Wolly

Merrion hotel - mini-report/feeback

Postby ashchurchprincess » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Cazzado, summerbride and any other brides having their reception at the Merrion!
Well it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since our wedding - I just want to write quickly to tell you how AMAZING the Merrion was. You are really in for such a treat!!

From the moment I arrived to check in I was treated like royalty. I splashed out and stayed there 2 nights before the wedding so I could spent time in town with guests arriving in Dublin from abroad. They upgraded me to the honeymoon suite for those 2 nights - I could not believe it - it was the most gorgeous room ever!! The service was unbelievable - they left all kind of goodies in the suite - a chocolate fondue set with strawberries and other nibbles, champagne on 2 occasions, boxes of chocolates etc. I've stayed in some very fancy hotels before, but I'd never experienced anything like this. It's a lot of money, but completely well worth it.

The reception itself went like a dream - I didn't realise that it would be silver service, so it was funny to watch how the waiters would glide into the room and encircle each table, then when they felt the timing was right, swept in with their plates etc. It was a spectacle in itself. The food was wonderful, all was just perfect. We got the pastry chef there to make the cake - and oh my god, it was incredible! If any of you would like to see photos (table arrangements, cake etc.), let me know, I can send them on to you.

The only problem I had was the lack of chairs in the pre-drinks reception room. It was about to rain that day, so we used the bad-weather back-up of the fitzgerald room. I had never thought about this before, but seriously this is important - I was knackered from standing around for photos earlier in the day, and I'd say a lot of our guests were too, especially the older ones. Anyway this meant that people disappered off into different rooms nearby to sit down, so all lot of our guests got scattered. As it's a venue for quite small numbers, this makes a difference to the atmosphere etc. - anyway I spent a lot of the evening dashing around from one room to the next, wondering where everyone was. So, ask for chairs to be put into the drinks reception area!!

But otherwise, it was all perfect-everyone loved the Merrion. They upgraded my parents to a suite for the night of the wedding too. It's just a gem of a place...

PreviousNext

Go to Feedback