Menu

The Merrion hotel Dublin??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ashchurchprincess Posts: 26
Hi ladies, I was wondering if any of you are having (or had) their reception in the Merrion hotel in Dublin? If so, would love to know what ye think! Thanks!
Cazzado Posts: 73
Hey ashchurchprincess, I am planning on having my wedding there for 40 people,July 2008.When are you planning yours?We went to view it and fell inlove with the gardens,so REALLY hope it doesn't rain that day!!The only concern i had was evening entertainment.They dont allow amplified music and with only 40 people i was worried they all might get a little bored!!We are having a big party in our home town when home from our honeymoon,so people will have to wait till then for the dancing :-8 Please let me know your plan,i was starting to think i was the only person getting married there :wv
Hi Cazzado! Thought I was the only Merrion bride too! Mine's on June 2nd - not far away now! We really fell for the place as well - I know what you mean about the entertainment, but we felt all the other positives about the place outweighed this. Anyway my family and friends are not really into dancing, and we're not having a massively traditional wedding (about 30 people). We decided to get a pianist that will play Cole Porter/Ella Fitzgerald stuff (can give you details if you like), and a couple of a friends are going to get up and sing and play the piano too. I am worried it might be a bit boring too though! Am hoping if everyone has enough champagne they won't care!! Anyway I'm sure your guests will be happy, especially if you're having another evening reception after your honeymoon, they'll get the best of both worlds. By the way, I feel I should explain my stupid username: my husband-to-be registered me, and is now pretty concerned about my addiction to this website!
Hello again ashchurchprincess!! Yes i did wonder about the name,but then mine is no better!! Its soooo nice to hear from another Merrion bride and esp one thats having hers before mine,so if you get a chance when its all over could you please let me know how it went :-8 The piano idea sounds great,wish my family were musical enough to get up and sing,but sadly not!I was actually thinking of having an Elvis impersonator!!I know probably sounds stupid,but we are both fans so thought it would be funny for an hour or so and then just have some backgroud music after,and as you said hopefully the champs will have kicked in by then!! Can i just ask you 2 things?Are you planning on having music at your drinks reception?And are you having a videographer?I really want one,but worried it will just be hours of people just sitting round looking bored!!! Thanks for the help :wv
Hi Cazzado An Elvis impersonator sounds absolutely brilliant! Fab idea! For the drinks reception we're using our iPod playlists - they have a sound system there that you can plug iPods into. We've decided not to have a videographer, mainly because we've splashed out on an expensive photographer, and also I feel that I'd be feeling even more self-conscious with a video camera on me. Am a bit worried that we'll regret this afterwards though. Am now thinking we might ask a friend to use their digital camcorder. I'm more than happy to let you know how it all goes O-O By the way, I booked a room there for the night before, and when I mentioned this to the coordinator there, she arranged to have me stay in the honeymoon suite for the same price as a standard room! :o)ll Where are you having your ceremony by the way?
Hello, God there is so much i have to sort out,we are trying to buy a house at the mo aswell so im a busy bee and going a little mad trying to plan everything!! We actually have to book the cermony :-8 But think we are going with the Unitarian church at Stephens green.What about you? I would def go with getting someone to video it.I never knew that we could do the ipod thing,that sounds great.Are you having your drinks in the garden? and i was planning on staying the nite before aswell.How much did you pay for the room? Sorry about all the questions!!! Thanks :thnk
Hi Cazzado Best of luck with the new house! We're having our ceremony in the chapel in Trinity. We're not sure what to do about transport for our guests between Trinity and the Merrion - it's a short enough walk, but might seem long to my friends in their high heels!Do you think we should organise transport for them or tell them to jump in a taxi from the rank outside Trinity? I'm worried the latter might be rude, but then again it wouldn't be very cost-effective hiring something for such a short journey. Most of our guests will have cars, so maybe my friends that don't (about 5 people) could get a lift with them. Any thoughts would be very welcome!! Have you thought about what you'll do about this (Stephen's green is also a very short hop to the Merrion)? I've heard that the church there is really lovely by the way. We're planning to have the drinks reception in the gardens, weather permitting!! I think they're charging me about 300 euro for the room the night before (would normally cost 800 euro!!). This is for a suite in the georgian part. I can't wait :o)ll :o)ll Good luck with all the wedding planning :wv
Hello again, I was going to be very mean and let them all walk!!I thought if we all cut through the park and take a few pics along the way it wouldn't seem so bad :-8 If i was you id just let them either walk or as you said get lift or taxi.Its way to short a walk to be paying for it.......hope it doesn't rain thou!!! You are so lucky that its not long now to your big day.Are you going anywhere mad on honeymoon? Hope its all fantastic :wv Oh wait i thought of one last question....what time you plan on having the wedding.....sorry!!!!!!!
Hi Cazzado, Sorry for the delay repyling, was away on holidays for a long weekend. Thanks for your advice about the church-reception distance, think I'll let people walk/sort themselves out. We're going to Paris for the week after the wedding. Can't afford to go on a particularly exotic honeymoon this year, will probably wait a good while as my husband-to-be is doing his PhD and poverty-stricken! What are you and your man doing? We're having our ceremony at 2pm, then the drinks+canapes reception at the Merrion kicks off around 3.30, then dinner about 6. Am starting to get pretty stressed about the wedding now, seems like time is really zipping by! :eek I'm sure I'll have questions for you at some stage about things, but my brain is a bit frazzled with the panic now! Anyway will keep you posted about how things go. All the best Cazzado! :wv
pluppy Posts: 3519
just want to mention, didnt get married in the merrion but just over my wedding and we had only 32 guests and no band or dj we did have a piano player and by no means did the guests get bored, she played... we played... we sang, we'd a great night