The Planning?!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

futurebabs Posts: 3
Hi, I wasn't sure which forum to post this in as we are not TTC just yet but it's in the plans this year. Towards the end of the year we will be hoping to start TTC and I just wondered if there is anything I/We should be doing in advance of this? I am currently on the Pill but we are a very fertile family and any time I have come off it my periods have started back straight away so I don't "think" I need to come off it too early - or do I?! DH has suggested I get a full check up soon too and chat to my GP about our plans. I guess I just wanted to see what if anything, other women have done or will do in the lead up to family planning. Thanks!
macattack Posts: 1617
Will this be your first attempt at TTC or do you already have children?
No, first time! :)
OrTees Posts: 907
Hi, the first thing I would recommend is to start taking folic acid- I started at least 9 months before starting TTC. Getting a full check up and bloods done is good, although there are some things they can't check for until you are off the pill. Also get a smear done if you are due one. I don't think you need to come off the pill early- everyone has differing opinions on this but you can be particularly fertile right after you come off. Best of luck.
macattack Posts: 1617
I started taking folic acid (400mg per day) before we started TTC. I also tried to get a better 'feel' for my cycle. Basically I just kept track of my ovulation dates, my AF dates etc. You could start taking Evening Primrose Oil too as it helps your body produce fertile cervical mucus.
Poppyseed Posts: 513
I'm sure your doc will go through everything. They usually do bloods to check your Rubella immunity, tell you to watch your diet, start folic acid etc.
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
All my doctor told me to do that start taking folic acid and relax, and try not to let it take over your life (which it will do!)
lollisue Posts: 507
Folic acid and also make sure your smear is up to date!
Thanks so much for all the advise. I think the Folic Acid is the biggie for now anyway and I am definitely due a Smear - I know I also need to get bloods done due to Thyroid issues in my family so that is on the list. It's exciting and scary to be thinking this way. Thanks again!