The Queens Visit

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ShutterBug Posts: 1056
What are your thoughts on the Queens Visit? I know it is a big moment in history for her to come to Ireland. As I understand you cant just show up to have a look at her, or can you? With all the road closures (Im not affected as living outside Dublin) It must be a right pain in the ar$e for most people trying to go about their day to day business this week. M50 and N7 being closed at times. Also city centre im sure will be a nightmare. And the cost of the security for her must be massive this week, sure the tax payers will pick up the bill for that too. And then the same for Obama. Will there really be any benefit of her coming here? Do you think there will be any trouble caused this week?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I think it's only asking for trouble. And we can't afford it. What really makes me O:| though is the hospital appointments being cancelled!!!! And the money being spend that we don't have.
anoncb Posts: 379
I think it will be great to see Ireland getting international press for the 2 visits where the word "bailout" won't be mentioned!
Momof2 Posts: 3884
I think its brilliant and hope it goes without incident. Our presidents have been welcomed over there for years. I only wish there could be walkabouts but obviously some people don't feel that way making it a security risk. I would love my children to grow up oblivious to that kind of hatred.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
The visit won't put to nor from me. It might help mend rifts and create revenue for Ireland which we badly need. I'd imagine we could get a few more tourists coming over. Obamas visit may generate more interest but I think the Queen will also get people out and about spending. As for the general public nbeing able to meet and greet with her I'm sure it will strictly policed and most people won't get a look in.
I was in Dublin in March and there was a protest against her visit on O'Connell St and I have to say it was the roughest looking group of men Ive seen in a long time. I think most people don't have anything against her visiting and agree it will be some good coverage for the country but it is a huge security operation. I think its costing more for her visit than Obamas as there is more of a risk for her than him. I just wonder if it is worth it. Will many of the public even get to see her?
MrsAC Posts: 1190
[quote="MrsDodders":vr8ybyoz]The visit won't put to nor from me. It might help mend rifts and create revenue for Ireland which we badly need. I'd imagine we could get a few more tourists coming over. Obamas visit may generate more interest but I think the Queen will also get people out and about spending. As for the general public nbeing able to meet and greet with her I'm sure it will strictly policed and most people won't get a look in.[/quote:vr8ybyoz] Mrs Dodders i was just going to say the same thing here myself , everybody is talking about how much its going to cost the state but not about how much money we will also take in.... it also frustrates me at this day in age people can be still quite angry about her coming over or maybe the media is making it a bigger deal than what it actually is. I think the people that are causing these problems are people that dn't even understand or know what happened back then , there just planting all these devices to be a*rseholes. Sorry rant over
[quote="fomobride":cmav3ol9][quote="MrsDodders":cmav3ol9]The visit won't put to nor from me. It might help mend rifts and create revenue for Ireland which we badly need. I'd imagine we could get a few more tourists coming over. Obamas visit may generate more interest but I think the Queen will also get people out and about spending. As for the general public nbeing able to meet and greet with her I'm sure it will strictly policed and most people won't get a look in.[/quote:cmav3ol9] Mrs Dodders i was just going to say the same thing here myself , everybody is talking about how much its going to cost the state but not about how much money we will also take in....[/quote:cmav3ol9] Genuine question, how will we be taking in money? Do you mean from people that have come out to see her and they will then spend money in shops and restaurants around the cities? But can people go to see her?
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
[quote:3ph59ide]Re: The Queens Visit by Miss Ted ยป 16 May 2011 12:10 Genuine question, how will we be taking in money? Do you mean from people that have come out to see her and they will then spend money in shops and restaurants around the cities? But can people go to see her? [/quote:3ph59ide] It will hopefully get people living here out and about and encourage spending. It might also see an increase in people from abroad coming over here. As far as I know we have to bare the brunt of some of the security costs for the visit but presume the visit will generate some revenue alright.
paperclips Posts: 3146
It physically wont affect me that The Queen is visiting, so I tend to forget that she is arriving. Have no issues with her visiting, hope it generates revenue in the long run and I certainly hope that nothing happens to her while she is here........ I am more interested in Obamas visit to Ireland as I believe that this will have a huge impact on Revenue. Hopefully Obama will encourage international investment in Ireland from the USA and encourage international companies to remain in Ireland and see us through the bailout etc.