They stole my name!....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Loislane21 Posts: 31
.....well ok they didn't know so they didn't knowingly steal it but basically someone in my family (not immediate family) has used a name that I chose about 2 years ago and I loved it!!!! :o( You might think I'm mad cos I'm not actually TTCing just yet (doing the folic acid etc etc) but I'm really disappointed! :-8 Anyway my question is has this happened to any mums to be while pregnant and did you go ahead and use the name you had chosen or did you pick a different one????
sarakg83 Posts: 347
wheni was pregnant on my first son i ran into an old manager (couldnt stand her!) she was two month ahead of my. she asked what names i had picked so i told her. anyway a couple of months later i hear she had her baby and robbed my girls name, i was ragging! turned out i had a boy so i didnt matter in the end, but the f**king nerve of her!
Delish Posts: 4176
Nobody owns a name, definitely use the name if you really like it. How often would the two kids meet?
2557 Posts: 885
Sorry but you're being ridiculous. You're not even pregnant - and no one "owns" a name. As far as I'm concerned, if your future child and the child who now has "your" name has different surnames or are further apart then cousins then use it all you want.
bucketofchips Posts: 1913
And to think of the amount of people on this globe being given [b:1gql42xc]really[/b:1gql42xc] bad news as I type this.... Out of interest - what was the actual name in question?
missi moo moo Posts: 1700
Ok wasn't going to reply to this one, BUT you aren't even ttc and are upset that some random relation has picked the name you'd like for your imaginary baby that isn't yet conceived? :o0 you have to admit its a little nuts :o0
January87 Posts: 280
i'm 39 weeks pg and one of my really close friends had her baby last week and named him Luke. I had the name Luke picked out! I just called her a bitch jokingly, don't mind too much, there's plenty of different names out there. But if ANYONE steals my girl baby name I'll go mental, I love my girl baby name...
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
If someone's picked a name that's in the top 10 or 20 in Ireland, well I don't think anyone can complain about someone 'stealing' it. When the kid goes to school there's bound to be at least another one with the same name if you go for something popular. Now if your dream name was Sneachta or Olalla and someone used it, I can understand being a bit miffed.
Loislane21 Posts: 31
Ha ha that's my problem solved I have sneachta and Olalla as backups now :o0 Thanks for the stories girls and looking forward to hearing your baby news in a week or two Adrieanne - wishing you all the best!! :o)ll
tanyababy. Posts: 511
This reminds me of Charlotte in Sex and the City. It was one of the early series, the 4 of them went to visit some friend called Laney in the country for a baby shower and Laney announced that she was going to call her baby girl Shayla. Charlotte went mental saying that was her baby name and everyone knew that was the name she had picked out cos she had told everyone. It was hilarious. I have both a boy and girl name picked out for my babs but I havent told anyone