Things in popular culture you don't get?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Going to show my age here - but what things in popular culture do you not get? Sometimes I feel like a right oul wan, seriously, I don't know half what's going on. I'm on Twitter and it seems the world and his mother is on there and they're all up with the expressions and the 'cool' stuff and what's in and what's not and I'm totally LOST! Anyone else like me? Please? I don't know what a 'hipster' is. I know what hipster trousers are, but what is a 'hipster' when you're referring to a person? I don't know what FTW stands for. I see it all over Facebook and Twitter and everyone of all ages is using it and I don't know what it means. I saw it on Saturday night a lot for Eurovision, people having has their status updates 'Jedward FTW!' and lots of likes and comments but I hadn't a clue. What is it? I don't get the Rubberbandits. Everyone went wild for them and I felt like the only person on the planet going 'really?' I don't get how people know what music is 'in' and what's not. Do you know what I mean? Like suddenly Imelda May is HOT and Florence and the Machine is HOT and I'm struggling behind going 'Florence and the who...?!' Is it only me? How do you all know what's in and out? I don't know how to embed videos or photos or audio into Facebook. Well, actually I have worked it out but it took me ages to find out how to do it. How did you all know from the dawn of time? Why did it take me so long? I don't get fashion. At all. I don't get all this 'black is the new nude' and 'paint your nails the new spring colour'. How does everyone know this? Am I the only one who sees a nice pair of jeans and a nice top and goes 'oh that's nice, I'll buy that'. Am I the only one who doesn't knwo the difference between bootcut, slouch, boyfriend and skinny jeans? Why can't there be just 'jeans'? I can only name about three beauty/make-up brands. I read a brill beauty blog cos it's SO well written and so well done, but literaly 95 per cent of the products I've never heard of. Never. Heard. Of. And all the girls on the site are going MAD for this new lipstick or whatever and saying 'oh I wish Sephora were in Dublin' and I'm like 'what's a Sephora?' That's all for now, but I'll think of more. Anyone else like me? It's just me, isn't it?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I can't keep up with music anymore, since I stopped going to clubs 5 years ago! :o0
buddylove Posts: 3288
I dont have an ipod!!! Cant understand why I would need one!!! And if im honest Im not sure I fully understand how they work!! Or a blackberry. I work in a busy office but I have no need for one and unless you are the MD or financial controller why do you need one... Sure cant i check my emails on my mobile phone!
Daff Posts: 11644
I don't get all of the above either :o0 I'm completely stuck in the late 90's/early noughties and probably will be forever. While it doesn't seem too bad now I know in a few years DD will be mortified by me :o0 Like, I'm a CD person. I go to the shop and buy it if wanted - not that this happens very often cause I have all the CD's I need from last decade, nothing now would really interest me that much unless it's a reformed boyband :o0 . Also I read books. DH got me a Kindle for my 30th last month. The shock of it. I was so surprised that I actually managed to set it up adn buy a book all in under 5 mins! So I'm slowly gettign converted by that, mainly cause I find it so hard to get out to the shops now with DD and bump that it's much easier. I just never have time to read anythinn I manage to buy O:| I've just about managed the laptop, never thought I'd veer from the PC. The thought of an ipad brings me out in a cold sweat. DD watches Teletubbies - no Peppa Pig in this house! :yelrotflmaosmilie:
ott Posts: 3920
[quote="Smileykaz":2i069dhe] I don't know what FTW stands for. I see it all over Facebook and Twitter and everyone of all ages is using it and I don't know what it means. I saw it on Saturday night a lot for Eurovision, people having has their status updates 'Jedward FTW!' and lots of likes and comments but I hadn't a clue. What is it? [/quote:2i069dhe] FTW = for the win This is the only one I can help you out on! I can concur on the music side of things - I just like what I like. I listen to CDs in the car and I very rarely listen to music on the radio, so I'm always behind with the charts. When it comes to fashion, I go by what catches my eye in shops and magazines, and what I like, and then I just know what's in or not. It definitely easier than they make it sound!
Ahhhhhhhhhh OTT THANK YOU! That makes sense now to me. I've been going around for months thinking it was 'F*ck the World' honest to God.
Momof2 Posts: 3884
Music I get. Love my ipod. Dont understand fancy phones as I call them Iphones and the likes and apps find it quite funny the way people pour over eachothers phones, like its a phone... :o0 Fashion I got off that bus a long time ago I wear whatsuits me I think. But The only way is essex I really don't get.. keep seeing them on chat shows and jesus they're morons..
busybee07 Posts: 959
[quote="Smileykaz":sv1r22vz]Ahhhhhhhhhh OTT THANK YOU! That makes sense now to me. I've been going around for months thinking it was 'F*ck the World' honest to God.[/quote:sv1r22vz] I thought it meant F*ck the World too :-8 Just like FML means F*ck my life
ShutterBug Posts: 1056
I feel very old when I cant decipher my younger cousins facebook messages cos they are written in text language :-8 I cant answer all of the above and didnt know what FTW was but Sephora is a shop in Canada (probably USA too) and its sells all different make up brands. Bit like the make up section in Brown Thomas or arnotts really. I found when I was in college and living with girls it was much easier to keep with trends in fashion and music. Not sure if its old age but Im definitely out of the loop. Went to a concert with my younger sister and they were just playing music before it started, all the kids were singing along and I had never even heard the songs :-8 felt very old ( Im still in my 20's :o( )
BusyBee - thank you! I'm delighted I'm not the only one who thought it was f*ck the world! It's a STUPID expression. The expression is 'to win' not 'for the win'. Like Jedward to win, is MUCH better than Jedward for the win! FTW is STUPID and I will NEVER use it. But I'm glad I now know what it means so I can ridicule it! Just the last poster said about being at a concert and music coming on and everyone singing along - I was at a 40TH BIRTHDAY PARTY last year and all this mad dance music came on and all the 40 YEAR OLDS were up dancing and singing and I hadn't a CLUE! I was ten years younger than these women and they were with it and I wasn't! Like Grandpa Simpson - I used to be with it and then they changed what IT was!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8