Things to do, places to eat in Kilkenny City?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ciaraella Posts: 5323
Hi all, myself and DH are heading to Kilkenny for a few days midweek at the end of May, we've been once before and did the castle tour so just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do during the day and any nice restaurants to try? Thanks!
nohbe Posts: 253
For restaurants i'd recommend Campagne, Zuni, Cafe Sol - i think they all have websites so you should be able to get more info on them, menus, directions etc. For things to do, if you're driving Inistioge village is beautiful, it's a bit of a drive from Kilkenny city, but if you're looking to fill a day it would be nice - Woodstock House and gardens is down there as well and that's lovely. In the city there's always the Castle and St Canices tower. I'll have a think and see if I can think of anything else. Have a great time - i'm from KK but living in Dublin at the minute but love going home.
Thanks for that nohbe, i had a look at those places and the menus look gorgeous! With me not drinking, nice food is going to be a major theme of the trip :o0
nohbe Posts: 253
I know the feeling ciaraella, i'm 35 weeks pregnant right now, we went away for a week a few months ago and I was googling nice restaurants in the area like a mad woman beforehand - good food takes on a whole new importance!!!
Tragen Posts: 370
I agree Inistiogue is beautiful! In addition to those restaurants would also recommend Rinuccini's. The early bird is great value. The food and service there is excellent, a real treat!
Alwaysbroke Posts: 1140
Chez Pierre's opposite the court house is a lovely too! Inistioge is really nice! About a 20-25min drive from the city. Woodstock is fab and the gardens are gorgeous since they did them up. The green is lovely down by the river and there's a nice restaurant there too on the corner. Can't remember what it's called cos it's changed so often but I think it's floodlights/footlights or something like that? On the way to Inistioge you'll be passing through Bennetsbridge where you have Nicholos Moss pottery. That's only about 10mins outside Kilkenny so even if you didn't want to go as far as Inistioge you could go there!
Thanks for all the replies! 35 weeks nohbe! You're nearly there, best of luck! some of the restaraunts look gorgeous so i've loads of food for thought(sorry about the pun) thanks all!