things to research - list of drugs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ttc_bfp_opk_wtf Posts: 682
I keep reading about different drugs people were given either to start labour, to help it along or for pain relief during labour. I was just wondering if there is a list of commonly used drugs anywhere. I'd like to read up on them and decide which would be acceptable and unacceptable to me (with the usual proviso that things go to plan and all is well with baby).
Daff Posts: 11644
do you have 'What to Expect' they had a good detailed list of pros and cons of what was usually on offer - from what I remember, major baby brain at hte moment! :o0
thanks for the reply, I wasn't clear enough, I was hoping for the possibilities in terms of the norms for Irish hospitals (cumh in my case). i have WTEWYE but it's quite different to the Irish set up.
Salander Posts: 1639
The Irish Pregnancy Book by Dr Peter Boylan - goes through the medicines given in Irish hospitals and the advantages/disadvantages of each. I found it a very good book, it also goes through interventions etc, i read the c-section bit before i had dd (wasn't expecting to end up with section) and it took a lot of the worry out of it for me - i found it informative without being scary.
god, I'm going to sound like an ungrateful cow now but I have that one as well and didn't find it great. it was fine for the pin relief drugs but not so much the induction, active 3rd stage etc.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
Have you read mine? You should be able to borrow a copy from a Wollie here. Tracy
MrsWoggle Posts: 1793
If u go onto the cuidiu website there's a section where all the hospitals filled out questionnaires or something and it gives their proceedures as in what drugs they offer, how long the allow u in 2nd stage of labour etc. Basically their policies & practices. Not sure cumh is on it tho cos it was done a few yrs ago. [url:3u2sp7ef]http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=53[/url:3u2sp7ef]
wideeyed Posts: 254
I'm interested in this too! Thanks Mrs Woggle-great link.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
The new Cuidiu stats will be out in a few weeks but for anyone in the West - AIMS West will be launching their birth guide next week (it will be available online too). Always keep in mind that policies are negotiable - especially if you and baby are well. Tracy