Things you really want to say but can't

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MrsI2B Posts: 159
Browsing the net and came across this forum on confetti.co.uk and all I can say is :action34 I know everyone has their gripes and moans in the lead up to the big day. God knows I do, see below :yelrotflmaosmilie: But really, for the sake of a few hundred miles the attitudes across the water could not be more different! Extremely forthright about monetary issues, i.e., give me money and totally adamant that the day is all about them (the bride). Anyway, I'm still reading through this thread as there are quite a lot of pages, but wanted to have your opinions on our bride to be neighbours aka UK Bridezillas O-O PS, I really hope I'm not coming across in any way racist towards our UK brides to be, but its so hard to stay politically correct sometimes :-8 But first I like the idea of the topic and thought we could start a similar thread here. So here goes :yelrotflmaosmilie: MIL - You are lovely and have made me feel a part of the family since I met my OH. However, I would appreciate if you didn't start every response to our wedding plans with the word "but..." and then give no other input O:| Mum - Again, you are brilliant, but sometimes the words mutton and lamb spring to mind when we talk about your wedding outfit. And no, I don't think you should wear your hair extensions to the wedding :duh: OH - I love you. Put a bit more input other than the words, "whatever you think pet..." would be appreciated >:o( Anyway girls, have a read if you've time and I look forward to your views/opinions :wv [url:2mq4pm6q]http://forums.confetti.co.uk/Forums/weddings_bride-groom_things-really-want-say-but-cant_.0[/url:2mq4pm6q]
RinkyDinkSlink Posts: 730
Ok I had to have a look and OMG this one [quote:2zc2xs6w]To my mother in law to be - Please do not cough all over my wedding breakfast. No you can't smoke inside. [u:2zc2xs6w][b:2zc2xs6w]Yes, you have to get dressed to come.[/b:2zc2xs6w][/u:2zc2xs6w][/quote:2zc2xs6w] Classic, you couldn't make this up :o0 :o0 :o0
JustBecause Posts: 3242
THis was the one that got me :eek [quote:3myw3ysa]i'm a little confussed...why cant we say these things?? its your wedding you bloody well say what you want people! H2Bs sister has been banned from ours after things she's said about me. all guys going for suit fitting next week and i expect it'll all go down in the shop when my parents get face to face with H2bs,lol say what you want ladies xx [/quote:3myw3ysa] this has cheered me up no end :o0 I was feeling bad, I've gotten news (good and bad) from a number of people close to me recently and the fact that I was so clueless showed me that I've been too focused on myself and the wedding recently. Big things are happening in the lives of people I really care about and I hadn't noticed because I was fretting about fabric for the BMs dresses and invitations. I feel awful for being so selfabsorbed but at least I'm not as bad at that bridezilla!
teatimebride Posts: 754
There'a a few similar attitudes to this one on it which surprised me!! We're not expecting any assistance whatsoever from either set of parents, they've worked hard all their lives for us and deserve whatever they have for themselves, they've provided for us long enough and we're adults now, standing on our own two feet!! My FFIL is in his 70's and is still farming with FBIL..... [quote:1oerzht4]PIL2B - you can afford to both take early retirement, buy a convertable car and go on meag loads of holidays - it would just be nice if you could offer to pay something towards the wedding! I dont quite see why my dad should have to pay for everything when he is still working at the age of 63!!![/quote:1oerzht4] Ah I don't see why your Dad should be paying for it either!!! Pay for it yourself!!!
nearlytherenow Posts: 1072
oh i laughed and laughed :) and now i feel a bit more normal :) how classy "to my "mate" if you say one more time that it is your job to up-stage the bride, I swear I will tell you what I truly think - That you are as fat as sin and that no matter what you wear it will look like a tent. And so help me god, if you wear white as you have been saying I will personally chuck you out of the wedding and you'll get my lovely shoe up your a*se!!!" :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
[quote="teatimebride":25e5opfa]There'a a few similar attitudes to this one on it which surprised me!! We're not expecting any assistance whatsoever from either set of parents, they've worked hard all their lives for us and deserve whatever they have for themselves, they've provided for us long enough and we're adults now, standing on our own two feet!! My FFIL is in his 70's and is still farming with FBIL..... [quote:25e5opfa]PIL2B - you can afford to both take early retirement, buy a convertable car and go on meag loads of holidays - it would just be nice if you could offer to pay something towards the wedding! I dont quite see why my dad should have to pay for everything when he is still working at the age of 63!!![/quote:25e5opfa] Ah I don't see why your Dad should be paying for it either!!! Pay for it yourself!!![/quote:25e5opfa] +1 My mum asked me the other day if she was letting me down by not paying for the wedding :eek I felt so awful for her. Her paying for the wedding was never an option, I would never have expected it even if I thought they could afford it. People in her work we talking about taking to loans out to pay for daughter's wedding and it made her feel bad. I told her to ignore them all. It's no-one's buisness who pays for what and I certainly wouldn't want her going into debt for my wedding!
[quote="sandyshore":36tws8df]oh i laughed and laughed :) and now i feel a bit more normal :) how classy "to my "mate" if you say one more time that it is your job to up-stage the bride, I swear I will tell you what I truly think - That you are as fat as sin and that no matter what you wear it will look like a tent. And so help me god, if you wear white as you have been saying I will personally chuck you out of the wedding and you'll get my lovely shoe up your a*se!!!" :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:[/quote:36tws8df] Brilliant! :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="JustBecause":3i7e478f][quote="teatimebride":3i7e478f]There'a a few similar attitudes to this one on it which surprised me!! We're not expecting any assistance whatsoever from either set of parents, they've worked hard all their lives for us and deserve whatever they have for themselves, they've provided for us long enough and we're adults now, standing on our own two feet!! My FFIL is in his 70's and is still farming with FBIL..... [quote:3i7e478f]PIL2B - you can afford to both take early retirement, buy a convertable car and go on meag loads of holidays - it would just be nice if you could offer to pay something towards the wedding! I dont quite see why my dad should have to pay for everything when he is still working at the age of 63!!![/quote:3i7e478f] Ah I don't see why your Dad should be paying for it either!!! Pay for it yourself!!![/quote:3i7e478f][/quote:3i7e478f] +1 My mum asked me the other day if she was letting me down by not paying for the wedding :eek I felt so awful for her. Her paying for the wedding was never an option, I would never have expected it even if I thought they could afford it. People in her work we talking about taking to loans out to pay for daughter's wedding and it made her feel bad. I told her to ignore them all. It's no-one's People take out loans to pay for their childrens' weddings!!! Had never heard of that. Whatever about a bride and groom taking out a loan parents taking out a loan is absolutely mad! Your poor mam :eek
[quote="Mrs PR":1uaqr0bc][quote="JustBecause":1uaqr0bc]My mum asked me the other day if she was letting me down by not paying for the wedding :eek I felt so awful for her. Her paying for the wedding was never an option, I would never have expected it even if I thought they could afford it. People in her work were talking about taking to loans out to pay for daughter's wedding and it made her feel bad. I told her to ignore them all. [/quote:1uaqr0bc] People take out loans to pay for their childrens' weddings!!! Had never heard of that. Whatever about a bride and groom taking out a loan parents taking out a loan is absolutely mad! Your poor mam :eek[/quote:1uaqr0bc] MrsPR the poor thing felt awful. And I felt worse, I wouldn't dream of letting her pay for it all! One of my least favourite things about planning a wedding is other people's input! Apparently a friend of a friend of hers took €30,000 loan out to pay for her daughter's wedding and has now lost her job :eek
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="JustBecause":1a7w3k68][quote="Mrs PR":1a7w3k68][quote="JustBecause":1a7w3k68]My mum asked me the other day if she was letting me down by not paying for the wedding :eek I felt so awful for her. Her paying for the wedding was never an option, I would never have expected it even if I thought they could afford it. People in her work were talking about taking to loans out to pay for daughter's wedding and it made her feel bad. I told her to ignore them all. [/quote:1a7w3k68] People take out loans to pay for their childrens' weddings!!! Had never heard of that. Whatever about a bride and groom taking out a loan parents taking out a loan is absolutely mad! Your poor mam :eek[/quote:1a7w3k68] MrsPR the poor thing felt awful. And I felt worse, I wouldn't dream of letting her pay for it all! One of my least favourite things about planning a wedding is other people's input! Apparently a friend of a friend of hers took €30,000 loan out to pay for her daughter's wedding and has now lost her job :eek[/quote:1a7w3k68] Sorry just noticed I made an arse of quoting you - you got my drift anyway! 30k!! That's insane - most of our parents are probably near enough to retirement age so how the hell would it ever make sense to get such a big loan - how awful would you feel landing your mum in that amount of debt. She definitely shouldnt feel bad, I personally had never heard of that before and hearing it now I think its madness. If your mum handed you 30k she's be right to expect a big say in how things were done - it gets so complicated then I think. Its hard enough sometimes making decisions when its just you and OH!