Thinking about not having a band, what do you think?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Squiffy Posts: 25
Hi! We are thinking about not having a band. We have had to rethink our ever growing budget and the band is such a huge cost. Also we are struggling to find a band we like that'll suit everyone. In addition, have just read a post where someone who had been to lots of weddings lately advised against a band. What do you think??
Mrstobe10 Posts: 1793
we are having one and I have never been to a wedding where there hasnt been a band, however I was at a wedding where the band were terrible and no one got going until the DJ started so you might be better off just getting a DJ if you cant find a good band for your money..
Belleboo Posts: 924
I have two experiences of weddings with no bands. The first they had a d.j. who was brutal but the couple in question wouldn't be big into current music. The second wedding the couple put together a playlist of all of their favourite songs which most of the people at the wedding wouldn't have been in to. So both examples aren't great but I think if you put a bit of thought into compiliing a playlist on your laptop it could work - isn't that what a d.j. does anyway?
Lucille-Bluth Posts: 1145
[quote="Bridezilla09!":3kpha0qw]we are having one and I have never been to a wedding where there hasnt been a band, however I was at a wedding where the band were terrible and no one got going until the DJ started so you might be better off just getting a DJ if you cant find a good band for your money..[/quote:3kpha0qw] Agree word for word. Worst I ever saw was a ceidhli band at a wedding where the guests were mostly young Dublin people who did not know how to square/set dance (whatever you call it). Floor was barren with tumble weed blowing across it til the DJ got on. I know there are some good wedding bands out there but many are absolutely atrocious and they cost a fortune. We are only having a DJ. I personally would rather hear the real version on CD than some band who werent good enough to be actually famous doing a dodgy cover version of it!
x_x Posts: 1823
I've only been to one Wedding where theres been no band- reminded me of a 21st if I'm being totally honest!
Ficidy Posts: 1753
We're not having one... We're doing our own music, but it's kinda handy as one of H2B's friends is a DJ on the side (kinda as a hobby) and is very good so he'll help us out. We are having a trad band though for a couple of hours after the meal - when we have coffee and cake and then going to move on to the dancing music after that.
ela28 Posts: 2552
were not having a band,getting a d.j for the day,I dont think it takes away from the day at all not having a band,in fact some people not all would prefer to be up on the floor with a dj playing tunes rather than dancing to live music,it saves a lot of money also going with the d.j for the day :wv
Yoda Posts: 3340
I toyed with the idea of no band just a DJ, in the end I got a band who also did the DJ and I am so happy we did, as it was a great night A band is good when you have a crowd of all different ages to be honest, surprised that you are having trouble finding a band to cover all likes, most bands are very versatile
Charli09 Posts: 235
We've booked Digital DJ's as we couldn't find a band we both liked also we wanted a wide range of music to suite the age range attending. You have to really like the voice of the lead singer in the band to be able to listen to them all evening....also you have to find out how wide their repertoire is. Good luck!!!! It's your wedding so it's your choice.
hick Posts: 858
We are paying an absolute fortune for our band, but we are cos they're brilliant we've seen em before at a few different wedding playing to different crowds and the floor was full and they are great entertainers. We couldn't imagine a wedding without a band so we had to go to one. We were at a wedding last year where the bride spent 4k on the photographer and less the 1k on the band, they were shocking they even had a sign up on the stage for weddings, christenings and 21st!!! I agree with Dwight and Bridezilla, a good DJ is a million times better than a crap band.