Thinking of buying a Medela Swing or hiring a hospital pump?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Anonymous Posts: 24542
If anyone is planning on doing a fair bit of expressing and is thinking of buying the Medela Swing or hiring a hospital grade pump, check out http://www.addalittlelove.com. I was using the Medela Swing - a great electric pump, but it took half an hour to express both boobs and you can only do one at a time. I'm exclusively expressing, so I bought the Medela Pump in Style from the website, http://www.addalittlelove.com/pump_in_style_advance.htm and it's brilliant! It's a hospital grade pump and empties both boobs in 6 minutes flat. Best of all, it cost me E170 including shipping! :o)ll The Swing is E165 here, and the Pump in Style costs E415! :eek Since I ordered it from the States I need to use a voltage transformer if I run it off the mains, but I think the massive E2 investment for that was worth it. :o0
alton Posts: 3077
That price difference is nuts! It really pays to do a bit of research. Thanks for passing it on. I'm thinking about expressing when the time comes but 6 minutes sounds like it must be a bit ouchy . I'm sitting here shielding my boobs and imagining a high powered vacuum cleaner. :eek
MissieGold Posts: 1124
Ditz I HATE YOU!!! I paid €475 for mine in Sam McCauleys last Feb so I got even more ripped off. Hadnt intended to express but DD refused the breast (most of the time) so had no choice. Alton its not that sore really. I usually put it half way to start with then ramp in up full power after about 30 seconds. Not as plesant as BF but tis grand, does the job.
pattie Posts: 2379
6 mins, wow! I wish I'd gotten that when I was EP'g. I bet you don't know yourself!
broody chick Posts: 203
Thank you so much Ditz for posting that information for two reason. 1. i was hoping to do a combination of expressing and BF and i am delighted that there is equipment that can do both breast in 6 mins.. Yipee 2. i can avail of this at a bargain rate. This is something i knew so little about and anyone i know using the manual breastfeeding pump is so time consuming. I am continuing my studies so it not practical to BF all the time so i am just delighted that you have shone the lit on that topic!! xxxxxxx :thnk ........for you xxx
Sorry, MissieGold! :-8 Alton, it's not uncomfortable at all, as you can adjust the suction to suit yourself. I don't use it on full power, and it still drains every last drop comfortably in 6 mins (and I have a [b:2jjtszwb]lot[/b:2jjtszwb] of milk!) Well, the first pump in the morning might take 7 mins, but I can handle that. :o0 Pattie, I'm over the moon with it... I no longer feel like a milking parlour, and it's freed up about 2.5-3 hours in the day for me that I would otherwise have spent attached to the Swing. I'm a new woman! :o)ll
BeanieBride Posts: 31
Hi Ditz, Can I ask a bit of a daft question?! Approx how many times a day / night do you have to express? Can you stock up and keep in fridge? I know supply will vary from person to person :eek but just would like to get some idea of what might be involved! Also, anybody know if you decide to exclusively express, can you do this from start in hospital? The hospital I'm attending are quite militant about bfeeding!! Thanks in advance
pattie Posts: 2379
Yes BB, you can start in the hospital, in fact if your baby doesn't latch on it's important to start pumping asap. Some kind of prolactin receptors are laid down in the first couple of weeks which establish your supply and also ensure that it's robust (so missing a feed won't cause big problems, if supply ever dips it can be brought up again). You should pump every 3 hours day and night for the first while. I did this in the hospital and when i came home I pumped every 3 hours during the day and at night I only pumped during her feeds while DH gave her a bottle. Before your milk comes in what the baby gets is colustrum, very thick and sugary stuff, almost like syrup. It won't really flow well with the pump so if your baby doesn't latch on they will unfortunately miss out on most of this (you give bottles of formula & gradually drop formula for EBM). So even if you are firmly decided on EP'g rather than BF'g for whatever reason it might be worthwhile letting baby BF till the milk comes in so they get the colustrum as it's incredibly good for them.
Hi BB, Nope, no question is too daft - I [b:46xfkkw8]still[/b:46xfkkw8] have loads of them! I started pumping straight away in the hospital, as DD was in neo-natal for 2 days and I wanted to make sure she got my colostrum. Once my milk came in I continued to express as we were having great difficulty getting her to latch on and feed from me for several reasons. After I came home I pumped every three hours to establish my supply. Now that she's taking EBM from a bottle, I just pump after each of her feeds. Here's the info I got on storing and freezing EBM: [quote:46xfkkw8][b:46xfkkw8]STORING, FREEZING AND THAWING EXPRESSED BREAST MILK[/b:46xfkkw8] Human milk can be stored in three ways. Whichever method you use, ensure that you label the container with the date and time of expression and always use the oldest milk first. [b:46xfkkw8]Storage at room temperature (max 20C)[/b:46xfkkw8] Freshly expressed breast milk can be kept at room temperature for a maximum of 6 hours. Breast milk that has been heated to body temperature (37C) must be used within an hour. [b:46xfkkw8]Storage in a refrigerator[/b:46xfkkw8] Breast milk can be stored in a fridge with a temperature of between 2-4C for up to 5 days. Breast milk can be stored in a fridge with a temperature of between 5-10C for up to 3 days. Use a fridge thermometer to check the temperature of your fridge regularly. Your milk should not be stored in the door of the fridge as the temperature of the expressed breast milk will fluctuate as the fridge door is opened. The best place is in a covered drawer in the fridge. [i:46xfkkw8][I store mine in one of the salad drawers.][/i:46xfkkw8] You can then ensure that the drawer is only opened when you need to remove or store more breast milk. Where there is no drawer available, store in the lowest part of the fridge towards the back. [b:46xfkkw8]Storage in a freezer[/b:46xfkkw8] If you intend to freeze unused breast milk, freezing should take place within 24 hours of expressing. The Breast Feeding Network advocates that breast milk can be stored for up to 6 months in a freezer that has a constant temperature of -18C or lower. However, Unicef's 'Breastfeeding Your Baby' document advises that breast milk be kept in the freezer for just 3 months. It is important to remember that in order to meet your baby's nutritional needs, your breast milk composition changes naturally in line with your baby's growth. [b:46xfkkw8]Defrosting breast milk[/b:46xfkkw8] The safest way to defrost is to transfer the breast milk container to a fridge and allow the milk to thaw overnight. If the container remains in the fridge, the milk should be used within 24 hours of thawing. Frozen breast milk which has been defrosted outside of the fridge but then placed back in the fridge once in a liquid state should be used within 4 hours. If defrosted milk is allowed to warm to room temperature (max 20C), it needs to be used immediately. Do not use a microwave to defrost milk. Breast milk should never be refrozen. [b:46xfkkw8]Warming the milk[/b:46xfkkw8] The safest way to warm up your breast milk is to place the storage container into a bowl of warm water, first ensuring that the container is properly sealed. Never use a microwave oven, since microwaving can cause uneven temperatures, including 'hot spots'.[/quote:46xfkkw8]
BeanieBride Posts: 31
Many thanks ladies :wv