This is probably really bad luck but…..

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
I did something during lunch today that you will probably think Im mad! But the only person who knows is H2B I will not be talling anyone else (apart fom you all on the website as you are probably the only people I could admit this to !!) Im getting married in Dec and hopefully will start trying for baby in January. We are trying to work out our monthly budget recently to find out if I could give up my job once we have our first baby (please god). As we are both the eldest in our family we have no idea how much a baby will cost or even how much the clothes/buggy/cot etc. would cost. So to do some research I have been on the net today trying to track down details of tax changes after marriage as well as child benefit. At lunch I called down to a baby shop that’s right beside work to get an idea of prices for things. To be honest I was way off with my predictions and thankfully things are a cheaper than I thought. But here is my secret - I bought some baby stuff while I was there!! I just couldn't resist a baby thermometer, a lovely white blanket and a cream coloured baby gro which said "how cute am I". I came outside and sat in the car and felt guilty (don’t know why). I rang H2B and told him he thought it was cute and said to ignore the supersitiions. Now I know the type of person that I am and I know that please God some day if/when I get pregnant I will start buying all around me no matter what people say about bad luck. And over the last while I am feeling so maternal that I knew I would do something like this I was the same when I bought my first apartment and then house - I had all the furnishings bought before I even got the key!! Do you think Im mad??? Has anyone else ever done this??
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:2zk2hai4]I think it's really cute!!! February of last year I was away skiing and I bought a pair of snow boots for a about a two year old!! I couldn't resist, they were so cute and all woolie on the inside!! We weren't even married at the time!! Now I can't wait to put them to use!!! It's such an exciting decision to make together of having a baby and starting a family!! It's nice to get a little taste of what's ahead!! I would say though not to buy more things just in case getting pg doesn't happen as soon as you want it to. You'd only be looking at the items already purchased and that would only stress you out more, I think!! Wishing you ooodles of :babydust: for January hun!!![/color:2zk2hai4]
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Holy Mother of God are you always so organized? :eek :eek :eek I only found out last week that there was such a thing as a baby thermometer!!!! Super Mammy in training I think! :o0
Ha ha!!! Yeah Im so so organised. It's sad really. No wonder my job is project manager!!! Sometimes I drive H2B insane with my organisation - Im definitely a Monica as well at home. (God he must be a saint because I sound like a nightmare to live with)
Desert-Moon Posts: 1174
I'm a bit the same I think. The minute I got BFP I bought ANOTHER baby name book!!! Its just excitement at the thought of a new stage in your life! Best of luck!
Sphynx Posts: 6795
[quote="LivDec2007":3voxwid5]Ha ha!!! Yeah Im so so organised. It's sad really. No wonder my job is project manager!!! Sometimes I drive H2B insane with my organisation - Im definitely a Monica as well at home. (God he must be a saint because I sound like a nightmare to live with)[/quote:3voxwid5] Those PM skills will come in very handy when getting stuff for a baby later on! See how confused we all are over in the Buggy thread! Best of luck with the wedding and TTC! :o)ll
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Don't worry about it - we were in Vienna before Christmas (where we got engaged) and I had seen beautiful wooden advent calendars when we were in Munich at the Christmas markets the year before and I really wanted one...so we got one, shaped like a house with little wooden doors with handles. When we have kids we can put whatever chocolates or sweets we want in the little doors and get them to open one each day. Not married yet and no kids on the horizon but who knows when/if we'd be back in one of the Germanic countries at Christmas markets and I really wanted one, so I got one. It will be taken out at Christmas as an ornament until hopefully we do have kids who can use it - and then I hope it will become a central part of our family Christmas. I don't think it's tempting fate. If you were pregnant and started getting very specific things and putting the child's name on them before they were even born....I might not do that....but just getting general things like advent calendars or woollen booties when skiing, things that you might not be able to get in two or three years time, surely that's fine.
Thanks girls so muchfor all your lovely replies! i went home yesterday with my little bag of stuff and showed H2B. Im sure on some level he thought I was mad (as you know how guys are!) but it was a nice moment we had. So I put them in the room (which please god will be the babies room...did I menation that??!!! :o0 ). Its funny there is one bedroom in our house that the second I walked into when we were buying it I thought - this is the babies room. Its bright and lovely view and so sunny. Its perfect!! God i sound nurotic!!! :ooh Thank god for weddings on line!!!
MrsOBrien1412 Posts: 3971
You're not silly at all, I bought a yummy mummy knitting kit for sil for last Christmas (was a baby blanket) my mam started it and I had to try and finish it my new niece is now a month old and I never handed over the blanket as it wasn't finished as my dh told me to finish it at my leisure and keep it for our baby !! I have loads of little baby cardigans and booties knit and tucked away in a box, we also know which room will be the nursery in our house !!
deem Posts: 710
[quote="MoonDesert":b44ntc4u]I'm a bit the same I think. The minute I got BFP I bought ANOTHER baby name book!!! Its just excitement at the thought of a new stage in your life! Best of luck![/quote:b44ntc4u] If you've any of them lying around spare at moment, I could do with one, we are struggling with names at moment ,and still trying to find an irish translation for stanley