This is really interesting...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
About ten minutes long (part 1) but totally fascinating - about the origins of religion.
Part 2 (10 minutes) Part 3 (8 minutes) Fascinating!
lux Posts: 6270
No youtube in work >:o( . CAn you enlighten me SSF?
General gist is that all major religions take their origins from astrology and the ancient worship of the son. Amazing list of parallels between features of major religions such as virgin birth on December 25th heralded by a star in the east, visited by 3 kings,began teaching at age 12, baptized, had 12 disciples, performance of miracles, crucifixion/persecution, 3 day burial and resurrection. Egyptian sun god Horus, Greek god Attis, Krishna, Dionysus, Mithra, Jesus all share some or all of these attributes which can be explained by astrology. On Dec. 24th "Sirius", the star in the East, brightest star in the sky aligns with the three stars on Orions Belt, also known as "the 3 kings". All 4 point to the place of the sunrise on Dec. 25th - Bethlehem. Virgin Mary is constellation Virgo - ancient symbol was a stylised "M" - Mary, Myra, Maya virgin mothers. December 22nd, 23rd and 24th the sun resides in the astrological vicinity of the "southern cross", lying at its lowest point in the sky in the Northern Hemisphere. On the 25th it moves one degree north - longer days, Spring, resurrection - the "son", dies on the cross, dead for 3 days before being resurrected/born again. Celebrated at Spring equinox when the sun officially overpowers the "darkness" as daytime becomes longer. Goes on like this - fascinating. Give it a look when you get a access to youtube.
lux Posts: 6270
I will. I always thought Christianity was very cheeky stealing all the major pagan festivals and conveniently changing them for their own purposes. I saw buildings in Rome over the summer that magically "changed" from being sacred Roman sites to sacred Christian sites. Just goes to show that religion is a moveable feast, depending on the collective dellusions of the time!
Yeah I knew about the sun discs as the halos and the Council of Nicea etc. but this just blew me away. I was watching it going "WHY don't more people know about this??"!
stickwoman Posts: 2394
I remember studying this in college and it's fascinating really. Gives a lot of food for thought when it's examined in a historical context.