thought attitudes had changed??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

starzzzz Posts: 1123
As some of you know I live in Canada now so haven't been around Irish people in about 2 years well properly. all of our friends are still working so we haven't had to experience much unemployment. Anyway to the point last night hubby was talking to a boy he went to college with who's looking into moving here he says theres no point working in ireland as he cant get a job with half decent money so h2b asks him what he's looking money wise as he knows people in his field and the friend says oh I wouldn't work for under 800 euro a week. :eek hubby thought he meant a month so double checked but nope a week :eek This man is married, rents and has no kids but thinks he needs that much to live a week. from the rest of the convo he def has a total tiger cub mentality still wants to buy a new bmw and go on holiday etc. Has a part time job that pays 20euro an hour and he says its not worth going to as he's only making 350 a weekend O:| Tell me this isnt normal? cause if it is it explains a lot of issues
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
This man has his head up his ass (in fact he has a better chance of finding 800 euro a week up there than at a job at the moment!) I like my creature comforts, I treat myself, I go on holidays - I don't make anything close to 800 a week. My secret? I save and do OT where I can!
mrs mammy Posts: 1487
[quote:2sxggu5b](in fact he has a better chance of finding 800 euro a week up there than at a job at the moment!) [/quote:2sxggu5b] :yelrotflmaosmilie: I didnt think people thought like that anymore either, he's a bit of a chancer I think or just spoiled rotten!
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
To be fair, 800 a week before tax is 3,200 a month, which is just under 40K a year, all before tax. So it's really not that unrealistic that a grown married man would want to be earning a take home pay that would probably be, what, 32K a year? 35k a year? Something like that anyway. My husband earns about 42k or 44k a year (not sure of the exact figure) before tax and we're certainly not living like Celtic tiger cubs! He pays 48 per cent tax on a lot of that wage. Sure look at the 'how much to you earn' thread that was on WOL there a while ago, there was a good lot of people, the majority I think on about 30K or above. I think €35k is the average industrial wage in Irealnd, something like that anyway, so it really isn't that excessive. I don't think it is anyway.
Reston Posts: 1321
I don't think its unrealistic depending on the job. If he expects to get that working in McDs then that's a totally different story. Edited because I sound like I'm being Hyacinth Bucket :-8 :-8
its 800 a week after tax he wants which is what between 50-60k a year? hes a labourer with no trade at all that's why i think its ridiculous. Obviously if you are qualified then you deserve it.
laney11 Posts: 141
Really don't see how anyone could think someone would emigrate for 200 a week. I really don't think he is asking for a lot, does Canada have high cost of living if so after paying bills I don't think it's an outrageous expectation.
[quote="laney11":31w5iq95]Really don't see how anyone could think someone would emigrate for 200 a week. I really don't think he is asking for a lot, does Canada have high cost of living if so after paying bills I don't think it's an outrageous expectation.[/quote:31w5iq95] he wants 800 euro a week not a month. that would be over 1000 dollars a week here.
Littlebo Posts: 2598
I'm afraid a lot of people still are living in La La Land. €800 a week after tax is a lot of money and I hope his dreams come true. I have been trying to fill two positions at work, okay they are at the junior level and mid twenties and I am finding it very hard to get people even to apply for the Job! When I was younger or even now if I was out of a Job I would definitely be applying. I just don't get it.