Thrush: Canesten Pessary, Is is supposed to feel like this?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sheesh Posts: 1129
Hi, I was at the hospital yesterday with leaking, they said to come in. So in I went, and after 4 hours and a horrible test, the doctor told me I had thrush and prescribed Canesten, the pessary form. I put it in last night, and I still don't think it has dissolved properly. I can feel it down there, but when I checked this morning, there were some undissolved bits that fell away in to the toilet. I just feel strange down there, like I cant feel the pessary from the outside, but there is a weird sensation. I was under the impression that it all would have dissolved by now and I wouldn't feel anything?
strangeangel Posts: 1269
It does break down, but gravity does its thing and bits of it do come back down, so it sounds normal. It can be messy, but I find that version to be most effective, so hopefully you'll be right as rain soon!
Hi strangeangel, Thanks for the reply. It feels like it's falling out, even though I checked and it's not there to be felt. Do you know how long on average it takes to dissolve? Also, is it a danger to me or the baby leaving it in there?
strangeangel Posts: 1269
I haven't used it while pregnant, but if it's safe to be prescribed or recommended during pregnancy, it shouldn't be an issue. It usually lasts 2-3 days for me and you might find it handy to wear a pad you can change as the discharge starts to come out as it can feel a bit messy :-8
Thanks so much for your reply. I made sure to ask both the doctor and pharmacist to ensure it was safe and apparently it is. I suppose I'm just not used to feeling uncomfortable like this. I also thought that the thing would have dissolved by now, but I had read on the internet that it can sometimes take up to 6 days to dissolve, but I didnt take this too seriously. As long as it works I don't mind the feeling, I'm just a natural worrier and therefore every twinge has me ringing my doctor! Thanks again. O:o)