time off for appointment

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

*bubblez* Posts: 1599
Are fathers entitled to any time off for appointments? my husband has been told he has to take them from his holiday allowance but he doesnt have any hols left as we've so many weddings to go to this year some of which are mid week so we have to take time off
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
God that seems unfair,can he not make up the time by staying back late or going in earlier? Its only a few hours here and there...
no his job doesnt offer the option of lates or earlies, its really crap and i didn't think they could stop him going I assumed he'd have some rights
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
He is entitled to time off for 2 antenatal classes. It only applies to the last 2 classes but in general his workplace will not know which class is the last one, so as long as he goes to 2 conseq classes he'll be ok. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... al_classes Expectant fathers have a once-off right to paid time off work to attend the two antenatal classes immediately prior to the birth. This entitlement does not extend to every pregnancy while the woman is in employment – it’s just a once-off right only. The provision for paid time off work to attend ante-natal classes for expectant parents was brought into effect in SI 653 of 2004 Maternity
charli Posts: 5994
i dont think there is any actual entitlement as it is at the discretion of the employer though in fairness most allow them - especially for the big appointments like consultant/scan ones maybe not GP - id go on my own to the GP anyway. maybe he will "have" to have a dentist appointment or a doctors appointment himself coming up and get the time that way its not like there is loads of these appointments anyway
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
:-8 Sorry about that I read your post wrong :-8 Unfortunately it's at the discretion of the employer but just to make doubley sure I'd be on to citizen information and ask them.
Thats a pity,could be take unpaid leave? My DH is self-employed so it [b]doesnt effect him at all
thanks girls, its just that we have an app with a consultant and a scan and he really wants to go to them i'm not to bothered about the rest I'll do them on my own but not even letting him go to one is so bad. He could ask for unpaid leave but not sure if they allow it
How cruel are they :o( Its such a special time for him too,ask him to ask about the unpaid leave after all a few hours isnt going to effect his pocket and this is more important.Best of luck
thanks a mill... just emailed him to see what they say... fingers crossed