Tipping the hotel

Go to All Things Wedding

Caca83
New Wolly

Tipping the hotel

Postby Caca83 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi folks,
Am looking for your advice re the hotel. I know we need to pay the day after the event, but dont know what is the norm for tipping. Do we leave something for the staff? Is this the done thing? We will already be paying a large sum.
If we do tip would we be better to throw some cash at the staff on the night?
Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks

cillcakes
New Wolly

Re: Tipping the hotel

Postby cillcakes » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe to just co-ordinator or manager over function looking after you.small gesture? Don't know myself .also would u tip ..hairdresser & makeup? Crazy prices as it is

RumAndSugar
New Wolly

Postby RumAndSugar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Our hotel terms and conditions say balance must be paid before check out, so I guess by 11am (maybe later for the bridal suite?) the day after?

Hair, make-up, DJ I'll have cash in envelopes (looked after by other people) on the day ready for them.

I've only thought of tipping the DJ as he's not charging us very much and agreed to play for longer than he usually does for no extra cost.

Unless a supplier goes above and beyond or responds to a disaster well (fingers crossed for none!) in the lead up to or on the day i'll just pay them what they've quoted.

Anne_K14
New Wolly

Postby Anne_K14 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 am

We didn’t tip anyone at our wedding. The costs of a wedding are high enough. I have never been someone to tip hairdressers etc though. In my view I ask for a haircut they tell me the price and I pay that price - same goes for the wedding.

CasualBride
Mini Wolly

Postby CasualBride » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:56 pm

When we were settling the bill the day after, we used cards to pay the hotel bill and gave the wedding coordinator €100 cash for the staff; we didn't specify who to give it to, as I don't know if there's a tip jar or what, but the bar staff were SO pleasant to all of our guests that we really did want to try and give them something, I know €100 wouldn't go very far between the amount of staff that work for a wedding, but we just felt that we wanted to do it. The wedding coordinator made a show of refusing the money and saying that it wasn't at all necessary, as you would! :) I don't know if that was genuine or not!!

Sometimes you hear stories about how staff never get given the tips, so it might be worth doing a bit of digging about your venue if you can at all.

I have to add as well, our hotel was unbelievably accommodating, giving us a really reasonable rate because we eliminated certain things from the package, so I felt that they were being more than fair and was very happy with the agreed price, whereas I know it can be different when your hotel is already charging you a pretty steep price.

Caca83
New Wolly

Postby Caca83 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I will wait until the day after and if happy with everything may give a token to the staff. As you have said, they are expensive enough already!

Barberstown Castle inlineBanner
20thMay2017
Mini Wolly

Postby 20thMay2017 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am

We left €100 with the wedding coordinator when we were settling the bill the next day. There was also a girl who bought us multiple teas & coffees and cut up some of the wedding cake for us before we left the hotel the morning after so we gave her €20 for herself.

Go to All Things Wedding

Weddingsonline.ie Ltd, Swords Business Campus, Balheary Rd, Swords, Co. Dublin.
Tel +353 1 905 9680 Email: [email protected]
Registered Company No: 318585 VAT Registration No: IE6338585T