tips needed 4 good nite's sleep??2nd trimester

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bree Posts: 1880
didnt sleep a wink last nite.. back& bump sooo sore. slept on left side with leg elevated on DH but no matter what position id take id onlt get about 10mins before waking up in pain!!! Had cistitis the weekend so know may the back ache is from that & mayb tender bump from constipation??? was going to go to GP as must have piles as bit of rectal bleeding but at the end of the day there's nothing really the GP can do other than sympathise... anyway... just wondered if anyone found anything that worked in terms of gettin good nite's sleep??? or how everyone else is getting on with sleep & bumps? Hope everyone is well.. other than the above everything is great & im just loving the growing bump & stronger movements ( ohhh were so lucky ! )
bellabella Posts: 2750
ah bree, i think you can get a special pillow that is adapted to the shape of a pregnant womans body. How's the bp?
fancypants Posts: 453
Hi bree - hope all going well? - I totally sympathise with you - am sooooo uncomfortable at night did not expect this so soon either! - My back is killing me most of the time! - Hubby says I am like an old lady! Really hope someone will give some amazing top tip!
over the moon Posts: 676
Hi Bree, I'm just 29wks and am the very same as you, can't get comfy at night at all, am waking up every couple of hours and having to turn to a different side, but always end up on my back and it's killing me. Have used pillows under my bump and between my legs and doesn't really help so I'm hoping someone can give us some good advice. Doesn't help that I have a chest infection and head cold either. OTM x [url=http://www.snugglepie.com:1yruoext][img:1yruoext]http://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/682543.png[/img:1yruoext][/url:1yruoext]
grumpy Posts: 1280
I found the pillows under the bump too big, and personally just don't get why you'd put pillows between your legs, but I do need something under the bump as its just not flush with the bed. I went and got myself a little cushion in Penneys at the weekend which is about 7 inches long and 4 inches wide and I find it just right for keeping my bump "up" and therefore keeping my back straight, and for the first time in weeks, I woke up without any pain!! I think though, that its a matter of trial and error to find a solution for yourself. You should speak to your consultant/gp/midwife about the pain though, as there are plenty of exercises you can do to strengthen the muscles so its not as bad.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
Hi girl, I'm 36 weeks now, and had similar problems start in the 2nd trimester. I'm afraid to say that I didn't find any miracle cure. I have been using a pillow to support my bump, but that's about it. It's a travel pillow (you know the kind that's filled with hundreds of little beads, so that it moulds to your shape?). It gives great bump support when lying on your side, but turning is still sore. If you find you're ending up on your back when you go to sleep on your side, maybe try putting some sort of pillow behind you, so that if you do roll back, you won't end up completely on your back? Sorry I can't be of more help :o(
Ducky Posts: 2506
Hi bree, My physio told me to use three foam pillows under my head and another under my bump. Thought it would end up killing my neck and back but it seems to be fine and am sleeping OKish...
bree Posts: 1880
thanks for the tips re.pillows tho think we will just have to put up with it, went to GP after all who confirmed kidney infection but said he was more concerned about my racing heart & low Bp ( heart was 123 per min @rest & BP was actually higher than usually is but however! ).. said i needed rest & suggested time off work ( which i didnt take ) & to avoid stressful situations etc but just told to keep eye on it ! so all is good the baby sounded in flying form!
chilledout Posts: 834
I'm using a wedge pillow under my bump which is great, its not as big as a proper pillow and as it's a wedge you can adjust it so you're comfy. I also put a pillow behind my back when I'm lying on my side. Try and keep your back straight when you're lying on your side. If I stick my bum out too much my lower back gets sore. Take the doctors advice and take it easy!