TMI - I'm having a strange period can anyone help?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rogue User Posts: 6101
OK this is TMI so warning warning! I started my period yesterday and it had been so heavy. Now I usually have heavy periods anyway but this one is really bad. Like I'm emptying my Mooncup nearly every hour. Blood is leaking everywhere, I had to change my underwear about five times today. Two pairs of jeans destroyed. And then when I took my mooncup out about an hour ago there was a massive clot of blood sitting in it, overflowing in it. I could hold it in my hand, it was huge and looked like a lump of liver. I have been in agony sinc my period started, cramps even worse than I'd usually get. Nurofen Plus wouldn;t work like it has before. So, anyone ever had anything like this happen before? I don't want to spend €100 visiting the Well Women's clinic to be told it's perfectly normal. I just visited last week over something else only to be told it was a false alarm (caused by THEIR mis-diagnosis) that I still had to pay for. Ao yeah, any help would be great. :thnk
Mari yay Posts: 4045
Don't think it would be normal for a blood clot during a period? Doesn't sound right to me but I may be totally wrong. I would get it checked if it was me hope its nothing.
HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
Brideofrecession - sounds rough and doesn't sound in the least bit normal to me (should say I have no medical background etc etc). OK don't like to be blunt about this but have you being TTC? I had a "clot" the day after I had an early +ve on a hpt. I am assuming I had a mmc. I think you should see the should see a Doctor and if you have any further clots try to keep them to show the Dr. Hope you are feeling a bit better soon. Take care
Reston Posts: 1321
I would get it checked too. Is there any chance that you might have been pregnant? Sorry if I'm upsetting anyone but you have to rule everything out.
Flapjack Posts: 308
I agree with the others :( Could you have been pregnant?
R2theB Posts: 1660
Wondered about an early mc myself. Sounds pretty horrendous, oh BOR, you poor love. I do get some clotting with my period, always have had heavy periods though so not anything out of the ordinary. It sounds like excessive bleeding and while it may be a sickener to fork out for the docs, it might be advisable just for peace of mind. I know you're probably going to think I sound like a mad hippy now but for future reference this aromatherapy rub is amazing for heavy periods and cramping... tbsp of carrier oil (sweet almond, jojoba or grapeseed), 6 drops of Clary Sage essential oil, 6 drops of Lavender oil. Massage into abdomen a few times a day to reduce cramps and/or heavy bleeding. 'Tis wonder stuff! Hope it lightens up for you missus, on the eve of your big fancy special day and all, argh periods are a JERK! >:o( Edited to add a warning: DO NOT use Clary Sage if you're pregnant, breast-feeding or TTC, it's really strong stuff. It's a soporific too, so better off using it in the evening.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
ok...after a lot of wine so excuse the misspelling and language I just wanted to say that I always have one light then one heavy period. like seriously heavy in that I'd wear a tampon, pad AND bring extra pants. So maybe get yourself tested for endromitis or pcos BUT only if you have the same experience 2/3 times
LabLady Posts: 4325
I was going to say the same thing as bazinga, get checked for endo or pcos. I would definately go to the doc, that heavy could be a mc, or endo. Hope your ok
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
BOR you poor thing that sounds terrible. Hope you managed to get a bit of sleep :xxx Listen, my first thought was a missed MC as well, and second thought was endomitriosis (sp?) But I don't know enough about endo to know if it can come on in an "attack" like that. I would strongly advise going to the doctor, if this is way out of your normal range then it needs to be checked out. I tend to get a particularly heavy period every 4-5 months, but have never experienced one that was shockingly more heavy than a "normal" heavy period, if you get me? I know it's an expense, but this is your health, it gets priority. Really hoping you feel better soon, my heart goes out to you. Mind yourself missus.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
PS - I don't think you have to go to Well Woman btw, a normal GP can check you out I'm sure?