TMI - sore no.2s & constipation qs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

chicam Posts: 1169
Hi I'm sorry if this is TMI but I am worrying about this issue, thought you might be able to help! I'm 18 wks preg & for a little bit I was suffering with not being able to do no.2 very well (sore, thought I was constipated for a while) but now it seems the opposite - the last 2 wks every 2-3 days or so there's a no.2 but honest I don't know what I've been eating different but they've been much bigger than I have ever done while not pregnant (gross I know!) & as a result are quite painful to do. Been eating lots of fibre to try to go less than just 2-3 days but doesn't seem to work - just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this rather un-ladylike and nasty affliction? My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I can't figure out any more whats pregnancy related & whats not!! Sorry about the information!
happycamper Posts: 186
I was suffering two weeks ago. not so much about the bulk :o0 but the lack of movement. i was trying everything and i read here if you eat Kiwi's they might help. so i did and within a day things started moving. maybe your gone the opposite where your eating too much fibre. If thats the case it would have the opposite effect to what you want to achieve iykwim. good look hope you get better soon
workingmom Posts: 3429
Chicam, sorry to hear that, it sounds really uncomfortable, I have suffered from IBS for a long time, once I ended up in hospital, and the consultant told me that too much fibre can actually bind you up, also fibre absorbs a lot of water, and can actually make you constipated. I would try some prune juice and a bit of a walk to get things moving, and drink lots of water so that your colon is nice and hydrated. HTH, if not, ask your doctor, I am no expert, but these things help me.
mama2E Posts: 670
A cup of boiled (cooled down) water first thing will help plus a brick walk. I find that since I have been preg I have to give my self time to actually relax myself and take time to do the business. (TMI Sorry) I found that I was getting really stressed about my movements and hence making things alot worse!!!!! Good luck :wv
rushinbride Posts: 1097
it sounds to me that the reason they are bigger is cos your over doing it with the fibre (hence the reason they are larger than usual) and as mrs gk said its making you more constipated... If you've increased your fibre intake then triple your water consumption...it really will help.... maybe just lay off the amount of fibre your eating at the moment increase your water intake and then gradually increase the fibre again... seriously if your increasing fibre without enough fluids then its like pouring cement into your bowel... I hope you feel better soon cause there isn't much worse than the pain and discomfort you get with constipation... :wv
sunnyside Posts: 3164
Agree with the others. If you are constipated and piling in the fibre you are just making your system worse. Lots of water and less fibre for the time being will help. Sufficient fibre as part of a balanced diet over time is the key to avoiding constipation but once you are constipated it just makes it worse. Water water water. Hope it gets better soon.
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I suffered terrible with sore bowel movements while pregnant, drinking lots of water and walking is what I found to help. Heard flax seed is good too.
alton Posts: 3077
Only been constipated once so far this pregnancy and ohmigod the pain was something else. I was literally in tears with it. DH was too, but that was from laughing at his own jokes about practising for labour >:o( I find that fruit helps enormously and I'm craving oranges at the moment so no problems there. Tinned pineapple works miracles too for some reason. Spinach and pear are well known for "keeping you regular" though I couldn't stomach either at the moment. When I literally couldn't take it any more I tried a glycerol suppositary (and about 12 glasses of water) which is supposed to be ok for pregnancy but even so, I hate to take anything at the moment. Hope you find something that works for you.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
well I know for me the only thing that has worked so far is Fybogel. I was in agony with cramps from constipation, tried all the usual things and nothing was working for me. Took fybogel (by the name I didn't what which way to actually take it. Thank god it's only a drink!) and it worked for me within 2 days. God did it work, sorry i know TMI but it helped me alot. That was only last week and no problems so far.