To Blacktie or not to Blacktie

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cantwait2bmrs2011 Posts: 215
Hi All, Just wondering how you all feel on Blacktie Weddings. Too much hassle or a great touch to a day?? me and H2B are really smitten with the idea, we think it will add a really nice touch to the wedding but one or two ppl were humming and hawing about the idea... What do ye think?
hopeful13 Posts: 501
go with what you and you're H2B want ..... it's your wedding. Your guests won't decline because there's a dress codes. Personally I think it depends on the time of the year - if we were having a winter/Christmas wedding I'd have gone with blacktie but i don't think it really suits a summer wedding
DipDab Posts: 1172
I think they look great in photos but to be honest I know so many people who hate them and think they are hassle that I wouldn't ask people to do it. I think its important to try to make the day as easy and fun for the guests as well as the bride and groom.
MrsAH Posts: 3715
We are having a black tie wedding (April). I think black tie doesn't make much of a difference for the ladies as we like to get dressed up anyway. Most guys have a tux, and I don't think they mind renting if they don't. A good black suit, white shirt and dickie bow would suffice if they didn't want to rent. For me you know where you stand getting an outfit for a black tie wedding, I've only been to one non-black tie and I struggled with the outfit!
nix1 Posts: 374
Totally disagree with MrsAH. I don't know any guys who own a tux and I know that it's an added expensive to an already expensive day to ask people to rent one. Yes it does look good in the pics but I know that when I went to a few black tie weddings all the girls were stressed trying to find something a little more dressy than usual weddings and most tried to stick to black and/or white dresses. Totally unnecessary added expense for guests.
havemovedon Posts: 2013
This is usually a hot topic when it comes up! I've been to around 20 weddings and none of them was black tie. My H2B doesn't own a tux and neither do any of my male friends so I don't think it's the norm for a man to have one in the wardrobe. I agree that it's extra hassle for guests. Women can wear whatever they want but men will need to buy or hire a tux and that costs money. It also has to be returned to the hire shop. How much does it cost to hire one? I'm not sure but when you add that to accommodation for the night, a gift for the bride and groom, few quid for drinks, a day off work (that may not necessarily be paid, and not everyone gets Saturdays off) and a hen or stag night/weekend, it all adds up for a guest.
MrsAH Posts: 3715
[quote="nix1":26xcyr7d]Totally disagree with MrsAH. I don't know any guys who own a tux and I know that it's an added expensive to an already expensive day to ask people to rent one. Yes it does look good in the pics but I know that when I went to a few black tie weddings all the girls were stressed trying to find something a little more dressy than usual weddings and most tried to stick to black and/or white dresses. Totally unnecessary added expense for guests.[/quote:26xcyr7d] Each to their own :) Most of the weddings I have been too have been black tie. And the majority of our male guests coming have their own so renting wouldn't be an issue for them.
Thanks for the comments everyone, geeny it does seem to be a hot topic alright. TBH there hasnt been a wedding in my family in a very very long time and its the first on my H2B side and we are wrking really hard to make it a wonderful day for everyone as well as being everything that we could dream of. I love the idea of the Blacktie, its roughly around 40 -45 max to hire an outfit thats in the Cork region anyway. My sister in law went to a wedding back in sept and she reckoned it was fantastic and no one seemed to mind. Oh dear this thread has really thrown me off :( xxxxx
havemovedon Posts: 2013
[quote="cantwait2bmrs2011":bnw43xcz]Thanks for the comments everyone, geeny it does seem to be a hot topic alright. TBH there hasnt been a wedding in my family in a very very long time and its the first on my H2B side and we are wrking really hard to make it a wonderful day for everyone as well as being everything that we could dream of. I love the idea of the Blacktie, its roughly around 40 -45 max to hire an outfit thats in the Cork region anyway. My sister in law went to a wedding back in sept and she reckoned it was fantastic and no one seemed to mind. Oh dear this thread has really thrown me off :( xxxxx[/quote:bnw43xcz] Well I suppose it's no harm to read both sides! I can guarantee there will be some grumbles from people, whether they say if to your face or not, but some people love to complain anyway. On the one hand I think you should have the day you want but I agree with DipDab that it's nice to take your guests into consideration too. Maybe we've been too kind to our guests! :o0 We chose a venue that's very central to the majority of them so they won't have to fork out for a hotel room unless they want to stay over, and I'll just be having a simple night out in the city centre for my hen. I'm just very wary of asking people to stump up any more cash than is necessary at the moment.
xxxxx[/quote] Well I suppose it's no harm to read both sides! I can guarantee there will be some grumbles from people, whether they say if to your face or not, but some people love to complain anyway. On the one hand I think you should have the day you want but I agree with DipDab that it's nice to take your guests into consideration too. Maybe we've been too kind to our guests! :o0 We chose a venue that's very central to the majority of them so they won't have to fork out for a hotel room unless they want to stay over, and I'll just be having a simple night out in the city centre for my hen. I'm just very wary of asking people to stump up any more cash than is necessary at the moment.[/quote] I completely understand, I think I will suss it out with as many of my friends as I can and decide nearer the time. xxx