To find out or not??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Augustmum Posts: 686
Hey ladies, Have my 20 week scan (big scan) next week and really want to find out what we are having! :o)ll Just wondering did many of ye find out? What do ye think I should do?! To wait for a surprise or not.... :stork: Thanks :wv
SparkleX Posts: 1057
Hi Octgal, I'm just back from lunch with a friend and this topic dominated the conversation! I always thought that I would wait until babs was born but now that I am pregnant I am very tempted to find out. DH is the same. I know a lot of people say its better to keep it as a surprise but I'm not sure I agree. To me the excitement is baby arriving into the world, not whether its a boy or a girl. A friend of mine recently found out she is having a girl and its lovely to hear her refer to "her little girl". I think it forms a nice bond before baby has even arrived. I'm only 14 weeks so a while to go till our big scan, but right now I'm thinking we will find out!!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
[quote="Blondie09":2z7z69ma]I think it forms a nice bond before baby has even arrived.[/quote:2z7z69ma] this is what i'm thinking, years ago when DH and I first started talking about babies we always said we'd find out. I can't imagine being at a scan and the nurse asking if we want to know and not saying yes! i'm not sure though if we did find out if we'd tell anyone. I hate having a secret cause i'm rubbish at keeping them but i it could be nice to have something that only me and DH know. we'd definitley keep the name a secret, even if we did tell everyone the sex.
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
I won't be finding out. I think it'd be an incredible thing to give birth, and have the midwife/doctor announce: It's a boy/girl. I love it when other people don't know either/keep it a secret, and when they give birth the sex is a suprise, but then that's just me. However, it's a totally personal thing, and there's no right or wrong decision!
Trafford Posts: 463
We intend to find out, probably at our next scan next week. We don't intend to tell anyone that we have found out though, so nobody else will know before the baby is born.
volvic35 Posts: 1118
We didn't find out on our DD and we aren't finding out this time. As one poster said, Its great hearing whether its a girl or boy, my OH was delighted to tell me it was a beautiful little girl. But everyone is different, good luck with what you decided, its amazing
Daff Posts: 11644
we're going to find out. found out on DD and bonded so much more with her once I knew. Saying that I hate knowing what other people are having so we kept it a complete secret. Only the two of us knew and I loved that.
love struck Posts: 1125
From someone who has done both.. Myself would recommend particulary on a 1st its really nice to have the suprise element.. This was a great distraction as a matter of conversation coming up to the birth and also in the delivery ward.. I will always remember the moment on my 1st and 2nd LO when they told me it was a girl.. Really cant explain the feeling but not the same as when I found out on the third.. Although the excitment is high, its just a different anticipation. My thoughts good luck on your choice :)
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
As mentioned above it is a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer to it but we did find out whether we were having a boy/girl but are not telling anyone besides immediate family. We found out very late (34 weeks) on ds when we overheard a conversation at a scan and to be honest it made it all the more real to us personally and made it no less special the day he was born. When you are handed your little one you are so overcome with love and emotion that you would never stop to think, oh I am slightly less excited because I knew the sex. Well that was how we felt anyway so decided to find out earlier this time and are delighted we did.
Busy Mom Posts: 2910
We didn't find out on DS but had a scan today and found out the sex and already I feel a bit different. I think as this is my second pregnancy and I'm so busy with DS that I don't give it as much thought/worry/curiosity and I think this will help me bond. We wont be telling anyone though we won't even tell them We know