Menu

To lose weight, or to tone up? - THAT is the question!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Yup2011 Posts: 26
Well peeps, I have 8 weeks to go and I'm going gymming roughly 4 times a week and eating quite well. Having said that, I want to lose ONE STONE in weight, that is all. My second and proper dress fitting is next week and I worry I won't be able to get it fitted again due to its' design. ANY ADVICE ON LOSING WEIGHT IN SAY, 4 WEEK PERIOD, THAT IS BOTH SAFE AND NOTICEABLE? Toning up-wise: I would like to get rid of the bingo-wings. Were you successful in getting rid of them or know how to? I suppose there must be loads of us brides out there that want to lose a little weight and/or tone up the usual bits (belly, upper arms, thighs - think of the bikini!) but in a safe and steady way. I suppose I am asking - AM I PAST THE POINT?! :o)ll P.S. i'M ALSO TAKING THE GREEN TEA TABLETS.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I would aim to lose 2 pounds a week. In 8 weeks you can shift a stone easy. The best thing to do it to cut out white bread completely as well as butter and mayo. Try not to eat after 6pm in the evening and cut out all snacks. Then for the exercise but you need to do a bit of cardio so power walking is good an easy. Try to do 30 mins every evening. Then for the arms I would suggest doing reps for your biceps with weights. I use the family size dolmio jars filled with sauce :-8 I make myself do reps every ad break on tv adn it's amazing how many you get done a night. Then for your tummy try to do 20 sit ups in the morning, 20 when you get in from work and 20 before you hit the hay. For your arms try to do 15 press ups in the morning, 15 when you get in from work and 15 before you hit the hay. If you can add one exercise class to this a week for toning up that would be great. Lots of gyms do pay as you go classes and you don't need to be a member. Aim for the toning classes and you'll manage the weight loss no bother. Toning makes more of a difference to your overall appearance than weight loss does. Good luck!!!!
Mari yay Posts: 4045
A good one for the arms is to stand in front of a chair or a step with your back to it, put your arms on the step and lower yourself up and down, my god does it burn but so worth it.
Finicky Fi Posts: 2134
Lose the booze too (if you're a drinker).
happyfamily Posts: 3323
[quote="mafiros81":2qd1s488]Lose the booze too (if you're a drinker).[/quote:2qd1s488] Completely agree with this. Cut out all booze and also fizzy drinks. Try sticking to water. Really good for your skin too
DipDab Posts: 1172
I lost a stone in 7 weeks at the start of this year so its definately possible. I would have been a relatively good eater but Isnacked a bit too much and my portion sizes were too big. I don't believe in cutting out food groups or not eating after a certain time anything like that. Calories are calories no matter when you eat them. I'd usually have breakfast about 7, lunch around 1 and dinner between 7 and 8 in the evening. I don't eat white bread or drink soft drinks anyway so cutting out that sort of thing wasn't an issue for me. I still eat rice, potatoes, pasta and brown bread. I just smaller portions! Little changes make a big difference like eating low fat milk, butter etc. Read the labels on food, you'd be surprised whats in some stuff! I also increased the amount of exercise i was doing. I tried to exercise 5 out 7 days. Some days it was an aerobics class, other days a run, never for more than an hour at a time. The other changes that I made that worked for me were: - Cut out alcohol for at least a few weeks (I cut it out for 3 weeks). Not only will it help with the calories but i found i had more energy and was more likely to get up early on a saturday morning and do some exercise. - Cut out snacks. All snacks. No biscuit with a cup of tea at night, that sort of thing. - Be careful about portion sizes, this was really the big one for me. I was used to eating with DH and eating the same size portions as him!! - Bring lunch to work every day, takes a bit of preparation but it helps - Have a treat once a week, even if its just a few squares of chocolate, you'll go crazy otherwise! Don't worry if it doesn't seem to work immediately. The first 2 or 3 weeks i didn't see much difference but then all of a sudden i was down half a stone! Hope that helps.
Thanks girls, they all sound like great tips. I have cut out snacks incl. treats and white bread. I've started on brown rice and pasta instead of white and I'm doing pilates and at least 2 other gym sessions per week. I joined one three weeks ago and then had a minor set-back when I was in a car accident which gave me some whiplash! Anyway, not seeing much on the scales yet, but what I've definitely noticed is that my tummy is a lot less bloated, so thanks for that! As for the booze - god I've heard that so much (about cutting it out) but it's so hard!! Not that I'm a big drinker, but I have a few work and other do's to go to at the moment and it's just a nice release to be able to have a few glasses of wine at the end of the week (or of a thursday O-O ) does it really make that much difference?! Thanks - as always. I hope all those with plans, whether it's for impending marriage/life in general, see them fulfilled.
skitchums Posts: 1283
Sounds like you're on the right track already! If you're drinking maybe change to vodka and tonic or something along thoses lines? if you're looking to tone up as well as loose weight then start up kettlebells! There's a thread on it here. I only started last week and it tones every muscle in your body, especially the ole bingo wings! I've only started myself so I can't see results but I know people who are doing it a while now and they look great!
Thanks a mill, must go look for that kettlebell thread now... :o)ll
FoxyLockz Posts: 2448
Are those green tea tables any good? the green tea drink in muck....ugh but i'd try the tablets if i knew they were any good?