Menu

To paint pine doors or not?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Decisions11 Posts: 1246
Want to do some work with the house before the wedding. We have pine doors & skirting throughout and I HATE it.. Unfortunately we can't afford to replace them so thinking of painting them white.. What do you think?
Sorry was meant to post this in the house section
mammybean Posts: 10364
no no no no no no no dont do it, i have white doors and detest them but cant afford to change them - wanna swap :o0
Diamondz Posts: 2208
Nooooo don't do it!!!!!!
Ours are very light pine.. really regret paying the bit extra and getting oak at the time.. We were told that they would darken.. but 2yrs on they haven't changed one bit! My head is wrecked with them... I'm afraid white won't be nice
mammybean Posts: 10364
no it wont it will be horrible, and then if/when you have kids - talk about a bloody disaster. Go out and buy yourself a tin of wood stain that should sort you out. Buy a few little scrap pieces of pine as well to try it out on
Good thinking with the staining mammybean. We've been testing the white out and really unsure about it. going off to buy a tin of stain now...
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Was going to suggest same, you could easily varnish them a darker colour. I wouldnt suggest white simply because all our doors are white gloss and I HATE them!!! :o0
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Our doors are white and I wouldnt change them. We actually replaced them all shortly after we moved in so had the choice of whatever we wanted but decided to go with white. The suit the decor of our house. Actually think that the wood look is a big old fashioned. Depends on the style of your house I think.
teapotty Posts: 2085
Could you post a photo of them? I think in my head I'm mixing up oak and pine. We have white doors but they're the ones that come in white so they look like they are supposed to be white if you know what I mean? I'm not sure how good the pine would look painted white and I'd say it would be a nightmare getting it well sanded- you'd need to sand it really well. My parents had the real old-fashioned 60s brown doors and my dad painted them all white and put a nice beading frame on each one to create a detail because they were just totally flat. They came up nice enough but they have become very very grubby.