Today I marry my best friend - in Irish

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NovemberMammy Posts: 84
I know there are a few English versions of the "Today I marry my best friend" poem, but does anyone have any of them in Irish? Thanks!
bluesky Posts: 143
Maybe one of the school teachers on here would be able to translate it for you as a nice gesture? Or even post the reading 'as Bearla' and we can all have a go at a line or two? Just a suggestion. :-)
Delphinium Posts: 3027
"Inniu, posfaidh me mo anam cara" This translates directly as "Today, I will marry my soul mate" but I think it looks better than "mo chara is fearr" which would be "my best friend". Irish teachers out there or native speakers might find a better colloquialism for you?
Wilma Flintstone Posts: 1262
my aunt is an irish teacher, if you want to pm me the whole poem I'll ask her to translate it over half term and send it back to you if that helps?
I've found it on a wedding invite I still have from 2003 (it pays to be a hoarder!). For anyone who's interested, it goes as follows: Ar an lá seo, posaim mo chara, an duine a ndéanaim gáire leis, a mairim fána choinne, a roinnim mo chuid briongloidí leis, agus a dtugam grá mo chroi do go deo. Thanks for all your help!
medallion Posts: 1
HighlandBride, I'm from the U.S. and there are hundreds of English versions of this poem. I would like to use this for my wedding also because it's absolutely beautiful but I would like to have the English translation accompanying it for my guests. Is there any way you could post the English translation used for that Irish version please? Thank you so much!
Hi Medallion, I did exactly the same, as half our guests were Scottish - this is the English version of the above: Today I am marrying my best friend, the one I laugh with, the one I live for, the one I dream with, the one I love
Bellisima Posts: 3583
This is so lovely. might use this myself!!
circus123 Posts: 379
aw girls it's lovely. where do you plan on using it? during the ceremony or on the invitations? (sorry probably a silly question) :-8
Bellisima Posts: 3583
Id say mass booklet, dont think it would fit on my invitations...