Told boss I've had m/c

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cw2bmum Posts: 387
I've just lost my second pregnancy, first one was at 10 weeks & was very devestating & traumatic. It was only a few months ago. I just got a BFP again last week, my period was at least one day late ( cycles not exactly regular again since last m/c). I started bleeding very next day after BFP, we were so disappointed. Still got positive line on hpt 2 days after bleeding but it was getting fainter. Am going to see doc tomorrow ( had planned to anyway to get preg confirmed) Now in my distressed state over the weekend, I've told my boss I've had another m/c & won't be in. Boss is very understanding especially after last m/c & I work in a very stressful environment. But have been reading & looks like it wasn't m/c but a chemical pregnancy & not sure now what the doc will say or put on my cert. I still feel bitterly upset that preg didn't last & need time away from work anyway as it is so stressful ( my doc knows I have stress at work), but now it wasn't actually deemed a real m/c, I'm afraid it's going to look so bad to my very good boss, anyone ever been through this....???
MsChat Posts: 270
If your boss even was to google "chemical pregnancy" he'd see the definition as being a very early miscarriage. It is just semantics (words). Don't worry - you haven't told any lies. Bring in your test to your GP, explain the situation, he'll sign you off for stress and then he'll put something neutral on your sick cert anyway. Anyway this is the last thing you should be worrying about right now. I'm sorry for your loss and take care of yourself! :action32
cw2bmum Posts: 387
thank u, do u think the doc will put preg-related on cert? It's just that we get so few paid sick days & preg-related ones aren't counted. How & ever, I need the time off, I only took 2 weeks last time, I def should have taken longer.
Luka Posts: 1904
Hi Cw2bmum, So sorry to hear about this, I know your pain. You haven't told your boss any lies, you were pregnant & now your not. Yes sometimes a miscarriage before 6 weeks is called a chemical pregnancy or early pregnancy loss, but at the end of the day, a pregnancy that goes wrong before 24 weeks is a miscarriage. LIke another poster said, it's just words. If you don't want your GP to put pregnancy -related on the cert, he/she may not, but if you do, make aure they put it down. I don't know if you have any other Children, but I had a successful pregnancy after 2 miscarriages, just to give you hope for the future. Any other questions, just ask or PM me :action32
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
So sorry to hear your news, hope you're doing ok. Just tell your GP you've already told your boss you had a miscarriage, and that you're happy for that to be put on the cert - it won't be a problem. As the others have said, a chemical pregnancy is just a term for a very early miscarriage, and to be honest most doctors don't use it.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'm sure the doc will put on it whatever you want, it's great you can tell your boss and they're understanding too. Hope you'll be ok. I'm another that has had 2 miscarriages, I've 9 weeks left on this one and I'm flying so stay positive.
vanilla icecream Posts: 2125
I am so sorry to hear what your going through. Please don't be worrying about your boss. I am sure your boss will totally understand that you need some time away and your doctor will probably say its preg related? you could ask them to if they dont?