Menu

Tommy Tiernan - OK baby - What did you think of it?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Woodstock Posts: 1565
hi girls, I put on the dvd tonight for the first time, didn't think it was great at all.. The jokes about the kids with down syndrome were offensive, not funny and totally out of place, the imitation of the duck having s€x was appalling and when he took it on the poor girl on the front row 'cos she was taking a picture of him (or recording him) was really unasked for. He even said that women are like children with down syndrome and a lot of boooo's came from the audience. If you've seen this dvd or if you've seen this performance live, what did you all think? I have all his dvds and I used to think he was very funny, his first dvd is brilliant! I went to see him in Vicar St. few years ago and thought he was great, now he jumps around like a crazy man and makes silly voices and his jokes are offensive... I think this is the end of Tommy Tiernan for me.. it's like he's crossed the line, anything to be funny, but he's not funny anymore..
BlahBlahBride Posts: 2744
Didn't see it, but saw him on Late Late a few months ago and he was so not funny. I was embarresed for him.
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
Can't stand him.
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
I normally love his dvd's. Had friends over the other night and we put it on and to be honest I wasn't overly impressed and I always though he was really funny. :o(
love struck Posts: 1125
Woodstock There was an interesting post on this just before xmas.. I for one was a great fan of his and have been to all his shows over the last few years and always throughly enjoyed him.. That was until Dec.. We got the tickets some time before and I was really looking forward to seeing him.. It was that bad I was going to get up and leave only for I was with a group and I didnt want to put pressure on them.. I thought he was crap and his jokes about down syndrome were completly out of taste regardless of his justification for it.. >:o) He came up with some justification after getting no reaction from the audience.. I dont think there is any justification for anyone to slag of someone with a disability. And I felt most of the show he went off on a rant and forgot what he was talking about.. Except for the 40 mins he dedicated to a particular part of a womans body... :eek Which wasnt funny at all..It was cringe worthy.. I for one would never ever go and see him again.. Nor would the other 10 people I was with.. My hubby even wanted to leave.. So this isnt just a girls perspective. He was a disgrace.. >:o) >:o) Sorry about the rant I am by far a prude and love comedy as much as the next person.. But I also think it can be pushed to far too...
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
I haven't seen that DVD, but I used to find him really funny...but I think the jokes (which were always a bit risky) have gone to a new and very new low. I'm not a fan anymore...I like Des Bishop though, although that said I haven't seen him in ages - hope is isn't/doesn't go in the same direction.
Chicksy Posts: 709
I don't like Tommy Tiernan. I've never found him funny really and always though he was a bit of a kn*bhead to be honest. His jokes about Down Syndrome kids were appalling, hes a disgrace really. He also appears to have some sort of mental problem, seriously like. Its like hes a manic depressive or something. I do however really like Andrew Maxwell. I've ordered his dvd and I'm looking forward to it arriving!
graceface Posts: 3632
I haven't seen OK Baby, but I have seen some of his other, more recent appearances, on the Late Late and such - it just seems to me that since the beginning of his career he has been building on this reputation for "shocking" humour, kinda saying out loud what everyone else only thinks, etc. At first it was funny but it seems he has had to escalate it to keep his material fresh and now he's just crossed a line. At first he was a little bit offensive, but still within the realms of humour - now he's not >:o( I agree with anyone who says that making fun of someone with a disability is always out of order. Sorry to be dogmatic, like, but it's not their fault. That really cheeses me off.
Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
He's sh!t.
Chicksy Posts: 709
His ego has taken over, thats his problem.