Tony Nicholson died this morning.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

brideorbridezilla Posts: 512
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722 That poor family has been through so much at least now they are can begin grieving and move on from all their suffering.
lulu126 Posts: 1095
As sad as I am to read this, I'd say it brings a huge amount of relief to his family and I'm pleased he's no longer suffering.
Ellefun Posts: 1312
RIP Tony, you are finally free. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
Ellefun Posts: 1312
I know it's awful, but does anyone know/think there will be more interest by authorities than usual? I mean that it won't be treated as a natural death and undue suspicion may fall on his family and an autopsy and inquest to follow. I really hope they can respect the man in death, even when they didn't respect his suffering in life.
NittyGritty Posts: 1605
Have to be honest, Ellefun, the first thing that popped into my head was that he was assisted. I actually said to my husband that if we ever found ourselves in those unenviable shoes, I would do the time to help him on his way, despite the court's ruling, if that's what he wanted. As much as Mr Nicholson obviously wanted it. Anyway, there's no evidence or reason to think that this is the case. Just my suspicious mind. He has reportedly died from natural causes. I hope his death was peaceful, painless and surrounded by those who loved him.
brideorbridezilla Posts: 512
Have to say that I had a suspisous mind as soon as I read it. It is so close to the court hearing. But as it says on the internet it is of natural causes. God love them for having to go through the whole court case when natural causes took him in the end anyway.
keepitsimple Posts: 966
i was abit suspisous too but am so happy he has finally got what he wanted! The authorities are not going to look into it anyway which is good so the family can grief without any trouble. Whatever happened in the end he is now where he wanted to be!
CestMoi Posts: 2162
From reading the article it sounds like he stopped eating to allow himself to die. So not natural causes as we would know it. Its very sad and an very difficult topic, so brave of him to challenge it in court and sorry to see he didn't get his wish in the end.
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
The judge told him the only way he could die at home would be from starvation, so obviously that's what he did, the police aren't investigating it. I'm delighted for him that he is now at peace, he was so distraught when the judge made his ruling, watching the documentary about him was so upsetting, so sad to see somebody so miserable with their life. He didn't want to live any more, so even though this wasn't the way he wanted to go at least he got to do it without any of his family being investigated and he got to die at home like he wanted.
mamasarus Posts: 831
Utterly heart breaking what this man went through. What a brave brave man. A stroke is so cruel, and really destroys life. Unfortunately i know this only too well. May he rest in peace.