Too early to see gp?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

katiecaboom Posts: 831
I'm just over 4 weeks pg and I've made an app for today with gp, however my mam thinks it's too early. Is it??
1april Posts: 73
Hi ya - i'm the same will be 5 weeks Friday just found out ... this is my second so i waited until 6 weeks on my first so i think i'll wait the same this time becasue the tests in the doctors are not sensitive and you could be disappointed ...
Aventine Posts: 228
I was 5 weeks when I went. I'd say you're ok to go :wv
CestMoi Posts: 2162
It doesn't really matter when you go, but some doctors test you and it might not show on their less sensitive tests yet, which might disappoint you. Although my doctor didn't test me, just gave me an EDD and told me to decide on the hospital and if I was going private or not. Only really need to go early if you are hoping to get a particular consultant if you are going private. I heard there can be waiting lists for some of them. I went public so next time I don't think I'll be going to the doctor too soon.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I think i was 3/4 weeks when i went to gp. Even if it doesn't show on this test it's good to get the ball rolling as they'll sort you out with the paperwork. The way i saw it was the sooner i went to the gp the sooner i could get on the list for my first scan!
theoracle Posts: 7664
[quote="ciaraella":1ias5k6c]I think i was 3/4 weeks when i went to gp. Even if it doesn't show on this test it's good to get the ball rolling as they'll sort you out with the paperwork. The way i saw it was the sooner i went to the gp the sooner i could get on the list for my first scan![/quote:1ias5k6c] I would agree with ciarella but for the fact that some GPs will not fill out the paperwork until they get a positive with their test - on the other hand some GPs trust the home pregnancy tests and do not bother re-testing, so it is worth finding out how your GP usually practices, just to avoid dissapointment.
katiecaboom Posts: 831
Thanks for all of the replies. Just home from gp she didn't re-test just asked about public/private and went through the list of what to have/not to have etc.