Toothache

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

hestia Posts: 2368
Driven demented here. 8 months gone. Is Solpadeine out completely? Any other tips would be appreciated except recommendations for clove oil and praying to the patron saint of toothaches whoever the f*ck that is. Cheers in advance.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
Can your dentist see you today? Most would agree to squeeze in a pregnant woman in pain. If the pain is definitely coming from 1 tooth they can take the nerve out of it to get rid of the pain and do a proper root canal after the baby comes. Local anaesthetic is perfectly safe during pregnancy
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Hi hestia! Never knew you were expecting!!!!! Congrats!! No, don't think you can use Solpadine. You are only meant to use Paracetamol in pregnancy. You can get a local anaesthetic in pregnancy. A lot of pregnant women suffer with their teeth during pregnancy...the calcium is taken away from your teeth and used for the baby so dentists are well used to pregnant women being in their chairs! My sister in law was never out of the dentist when she was pregnant with her 3rd child!
Pregnancy does NOT take the calcium out of your teeth. That's a total old wives tale. The only detrimental effect pregnancy can have on your teeth is exacerbating a periodontal disease that was Pre-existing or acid erosion if you've been unlucky enough to be very sick with morning sickness
Terri1 Posts: 1158
Hestia i had to get a tooth out in pregnancy. A local anaesthetic was used. He didn't do an xray. I'd had a few days of Panadol and just couldn't stick it any more.
Folks, thanks so much for your responses - a big help. I'd been labouring under the notion I was snookered treatment wise so I managed to get an appointment for this afternoon. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.
Good luck! And it's much safer for your baby of you have an extraction or filling than if you can't eat or sleep with toothache and your body has an infection
OAT Posts: 2207
Holles st told me it was ok to take solpadeine but just not on a regular basis so you'd be ok to take it until you get to the dentist. I also had a tooth out while pregnant and it's perfectly safe.
Yup, yer man was sound. Got going with part one of a heavy duty canal job to give some relief. No bother with dishing up the anaesthetic or getting the big guns out for drilling. He was saying some procedures are inadvisable during first trimester but after that you're laughing. Well, screaming possibly. And Jesus, no-one should be left suffering. Get thyselves to a dentist in the unfortunate event of dental woes.
Delighted to hear it went well.