TOP TIPS FOR LABOR...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MUMS THE WORD Posts: 733
Mammies, just wondering if there was just one top tip you could offer to us soon to be new mammies what would it be????? Either in terms of preparation or pain relief etc.. etc... I know we'd all appreciate all or any advice you could offer us xoxo
jess08 Posts: 481
My advice would be to [b:13t61w9r]stay calm!! [/b:13t61w9r] So many different things happen, even during a normal birth, and its very easy to get stressed out. But if you are calm you can ask questions, make decisions and follow the midwives instrustions etc. You can feel more in control. Beforehand i had watched so many tv shows of women in labour and the difference between those that stayed calm and those that got stressed out was amazing. That was my one promise to myself going in and i think it really helped me. :wv
Delish Posts: 4176
My advice is order the epidural when you get to the labour ward, it may take the aneasthetist an hour or more to get to you, so if you want it, and believe me it is unbelievable (takes you from agony to normality in a few short minutes), then order it asap. secondly be firm with the nurses after you have the baby, they can be run off their feet and therefore may be slow in giving you, your pain relief. So ask for it if you need it.
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
tip 1: go in with an open mind if you can ...i think so many women put so much pressure on themselves to have the "perfect birth" so just try and go with the flow as much as possible- you dont know how your borth is going to go. tip 2: keep an ope mind re: drugs too...dont rule them out or in until you see how youre getting on . tip3: have loads of time between now and labour ward with your dh -weekends away, lie ins, lazy sundays etc ...have as many as possible.
bellabella Posts: 2750
I remember Speedy birth story helped me through my labour.I used her breathing advice. :wv Good luck hun.
Munchie1 Posts: 50
Tens Machine. I had a long PreLabour (nearly a week). Tens Machine is essential.
newbie24 Posts: 530
Hi ladies.... I've not had my own baby yet, so this is just from other people's experience... 1: Be open minded...and listen to the midwives but stay in control, if you want to do something and it's safe, then do it, regardless of how 'out-there' it may seem 2: Walk during labour. If you read any of the birthing stories on here you'll see a pattern of people making walking during the labour a massive part (gravity and all that!) 3: Enjoy it..... it may only happen once to so don't out thinking 'omg that was horrific!'
charli Posts: 5994
[b:3dy301x4]staying positive[/b:3dy301x4] - open minded and telling yourself, you can do this, millions of women do it, it wont last for ever [b:3dy301x4]plenty of walking when in early labour[/b:3dy301x4] - i had no epi and really believed that this made things that made easier - when i got to Labour Ward on first baby i was 8cm - i had walked the corridor so much before my waters went and believe this helped listen to the midwives - they really will guide you especially in delivery part - no stitches on my 2nd cos i totally listened pushed/stopped/panted etc when told and was really in control of baby coming out
Moet for me Posts: 1841
Stay open minded and stay positive. I ended up with an emergency c section on dd but I felt I could cope with it because I was feeling calm all day mind you I was a bit freaked going into the theatre but that was genuinely the first time I felt out of control or out of the loop all day.
Blackbird Posts: 5135
Don't painc. It can be all so overwhelming in a strange environment but you will get through it just fine. Take it one step at a time. It's impossible to know how it will pan out so just get from one exam to the next (normally every two hours) and see how you're coping in between. Read up on your pain relief options beforehand and what's standard procedure in your hospital (this info is available on the ciudiu website). For example, are you allowed use the shower/bath in labour, bring in your gym ball (or use theirs)...those kind of things will help you on the day. If you are being induced, talk to you consultant/midwife about what to expect. I was induced and it helped to know what was coming next. As everyone else has said, keep an open mind. You might be totally against pain relief but then be crying out for it or you might think you'll never cope and then sail through it. Either way, you will do a great job and you'll look back on it in awe, wondering how you did it! If you think you'd like the epi, ask when you go in how long it normally takes and when you need to ask for it but I would wait and see how you're coping before making a definite decision either way.