Topic of the Day: How long is too long for an engagement?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

WOLPam Posts: 35
Hi All, Today's topic is all about the length of the engagement! Is there such a thing as being engaged too long? How long were you engaged before you made it down the aisle?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Too long is 17 years, eight months, four days, six hours and 12 minutes.
MrQ Posts: 1085
It's as long as it needs to be. I will still spend the rest of my life with my oh and if people ask how long we are married I will just answer with the figure +13 years. We are engaged 6 years I'd say. Hard to say, it was a while ago. Lol Did get an engagement gift just before Christmas which was odd. Haha
craftyPB Posts: 2625
We'll be engaged 22 months when we get married...I wanted enough time to plan properly, save up and enjoy it! :D
zoesmama Posts: 2774
we were engaged 13 months when we got married. That was long enough for me. A friend was engaged 3 years with no date set and no movement in that direction by her now ex. She decided that was too long for her. Everyone's different.
paws26 Posts: 132
Hi!i suppose it depends on the person but I kinda thing 2 years is enough dont really get the point of getting engaged if your not going to get married gor years and years later just get engaged when your near enough ready to get married is what I'd think but I think some people look at it more as a commitment thing.so each to their own i suppose :)
pooch90 Posts: 319
We will be engaged 2 years and 5 months when we get married and together 9 years and 11 months. Each to their own I reckon. We just enjoyed being engaged for a year first.
jmum Posts: 26
We will be 7 yrs 2mnts when we get married!
lollisue Posts: 507
Everyone is different, for us it was 11 months. I don't really understand the point of long engagements unless it's to save for the wedding. You don't decide to get engaged, you decide to get married, the engagement is just the bit in between!
MrQ Posts: 1085
Asking somebody to marry you is a commitment to marriage. It doesn't matter how long it is. Some people are not in a position to marry for financial and in our case medical reasons. We are now and decided on a date only last June. The purpose of asking my bride to marry me was for both of us to express to each other out future commitment even though we weren't able to. Also if we only got engaged last year , at 12 years together we'd still be plagued with "when's he proposing?" Not "when's she proposing?"