We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
NowGone Posts: 8042
I've a virtually identical situation to you, age, symptoms, medication history (except no headaches). I came off Dianette exactly one month ago for a variety of reasons, but the same as you are considering. My skin has disimproved slightly, but not too bad - could be the amount of boozing lately, mind! :hic Using comdoms only, but plan on getting fitted for the cap (have been seeing family planner about my options) as I don;t want to rely on any hormonal forms of contraceptions (injection, implant, mirena coil) don;t fany the other coil cos of heavier periods/risk of ectopic pregnancy. The cap sounds a lot easier and better than i had suspected. Recommend you look into it. Pm me for more info/discussions. hth!
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
No bothers! :wv
keepitsimple Posts: 966
i am in the exact same position at the moment aswell except have stayed on cilest for the last 10 years. Am now thinking more about my body too and what effects swallowing this pill everyday is having on me and I find I blame it for any mood swings, headaches, libido drop etc but don't really know if it is the pill as I've been on it for so long I can't remember what it was like not to be taking this pill every day which is why I've decided to stop taking it for a while and see how I get on. I am now 1 week off it and we are resorting to the old durex for now too but am planning on visiting my GP when I get a chance and chat to her about alternatives. I did some research on the net but didn't see anything that I felt would suit me. I dont' remember seeing the cap so will look into that too :thnk Nice to know there are a few of us out there feeling nervous about stopping taking the pill, it's like you get dependant on it. I've told my HB to ignore any weird changes for a while but hopefully it won't be too bad!
the cap: A quick summary The cap is very popular in the States. Used properly it is very effective. You need to be profesionally measured and fitted. It's recommended for people in long term relationships. You can put it in up to 4 hours before intercourse, and can leave it in up to 12 hours afterwards.
MrsYippee Posts: 804
Hi there, have you considered using the contraceptive patch. I had problems with the pill like you mentioned and my doctor suggested I use this, as it is not ingested it brings about much less side effects (or something to that effect, can't quite remember the medical jargon). You wear 1 patch for 1 week for 3 weeks, then have a patch free week, you don't have to remember to take a pill or anything. 8 months on for me and I have no side effects. Its a bit dearer than the pill but i think its worth it.
[quote="deedee80":3g73yhq1]Hi there, have you considered using the contraceptive patch. I had problems with the pill like you mentioned and my doctor suggested I use this, as it is not ingested it brings about much less side effects (or something to that effect, can't quite remember the medical jargon). You wear 1 patch for 1 week for 3 weeks, then have a patch free week, you don't have to remember to take a pill or anything. 8 months on for me and I have no side effects. Its a bit dearer than the pill but i think its worth it.[/quote:3g73yhq1] Yeah, but it's a form of hormonal contraception. OP wants to steer clear of it.....
keepitsimple Posts: 966
superstarshejay, i just came across this website re non hormonal contraception - it might be of help. [url:3753bo2z]http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/Mosby_factsheets/contraception.html[/url:3753bo2z] I think I'll chat with my GP and decide after that. Not sure putting the cap in up to 4 hours before intercouse sounds good to me but it might be better than getting preggers!!
MrsYippee Posts: 804
"I think I'll chat with my GP and decide after that. Not sure putting the cap in up to 4 hours before intercouse sounds good to me but it might be better than getting preggers!!" Yeah not sure I'd want to be saying "hang on there for about 4 hours" when in the throes of passion! :o0