We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bridie3 Posts: 432
Hi Dafbird, so sorry to hear about you cancelling your wedding, but its so much pressure and money to get married in Ireland am nearly thinking to go abroad myself at this stage, i know lots of couple's who went abrad alone to get married, they had small party when they came home. Great idea i thought. Did your hotel give you your deposit back or how did it work out for ya?
mrstobe09 Posts: 875
Hi dafbird, It will be just the two of us. We are getting married in South Africa next Feb. I always had said I wanted a wedding abroad. H2B wouldn't have minded a very very small wedding at home but when we starting looking into he knew it wouldn't work. So we started looking into going abroad, looked at looks of places but we decided on South Africa. We are so happy that we have gone this route. He knows his own immediate family will have no problems, and I know mine will be fine too.
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
Sorry to hear you had to change your plans Dafbird. However, as you say, in these uncertain times you're most definitely doing the right thing. I think to get married abroad alone is a really beautiful idea. You're making the ultimate commitment to eachother and this way it is truly about the two of you. Something we all try to keep hold of but gets harder and harder to do the further you get into the wedding planning. Rome sounds lovely and should be relatively easy to organise. Not sure if you've been there before but personally I think its such a romantic place. Perfect for two people in love getting married. Sorry I can't offer more useful advice but I just wanted to say congratulations on not getting caught up in the hype and going for what's truly appropriate for your situation!
pudding pop Posts: 60
Sorry to hear that dafbird, going away just the two of you is very romantic, its all about the 2 of you at the end of the day.
ladyandthetramp Posts: 411
if you are going to rome, i would have a party when you come back in the hotel if you dont get the deposit back, or even if you do, that way you have a romantic wedding in rome and then a hooley when you get back. thinking of doing the same myself!!!!