We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MeSB Posts: 3785
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
We have oil in our house. I think its really convenient - pay-as-you-go heating! Means no unexpected big bills and you're in control of what you spend (although a little annoying when it runs out unexpectedly, esp. in Winter!) The price of home heating oil fluctuates like the price of petrol so you can judge it along with petrol prices as guide. We would usually buy 500 litres at a time and this usually does us for 8 - 10 weeks, obviously less in Winter. Although saying that we haven't bought any for 16 weeks and the tank is still heavy enough (give it a good shove to see how heavy it is!). Also, another tip - when you think it has run out i.e. you switch on the heating and get zip from the rads, tilt the tank slightly towards the outlet pipe so all of the oil at the bottom can run and you'll get another week out of it. God I sound like a right miser!
Groovy-Chick Posts: 2383
We last got oil just after Christmas so we're nearly at 6 months on this tank! We got 500litres. The last 500 litres only lasted us about 2 months as it was winter time. We hardly ever have it on these days. I will say tho, if you have a kind of set routine like going to work at same time and home at same time etc, set it on timer basically so you dont forget about it! We used to have it on an hour in the morn and an hour at night. Our house is quite small tho.
MeSB Posts: 3785
I actually cant remember, it was def over 200. Anyway, I rang our local place there and asked them and it's €275 with them at the moment. I would say ring around a few places as sometimes the prices differ. The more you get the less you pay as well. When you decide where you want to buy, just ring them up and say you want to order x amount. You give your address and they come out and fill up the tank for ya. Some places allow cash on delivery or else you pay by credit card over the phone.
O 1 other thing! If there is no oil in the tank at the min, and someone has tried to turn the heat on, your tank could be airlocked. Some places charge you to release this but afaik it's fairly easy to do yourself. I always get H2B to do it but if it happens to you I can ask him how he does it! You will know it's airlocked if you turn on your heating and the radiators arent warming up! If it's a newer house tho, some of the new oil tanks have a thing on them that releases it automatically.