We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CCAF Posts: 502
Hello09 Posts: 253
I wouldn't report anyone but like you i would not be happy that they are getting money when they shouldn't be
Mrs2babridesoon Posts: 3319
I'm not sure, never been in that position, but if God forbid I lost my job today I'd be in such deep financial trouble with Mortagage repayments and personal loans, I don't know what I'd personally be capable of. I know stamps or dole would not give me enough to makes ends meet. I think the country is in such an awful state that 'some' people may only make ends meet by working and getting their stamps/dole? Again no experience of this personally and I'm not niiave I know there are people who do milk the system. I just think the economy crashed so suddenly that normal hard working people were left high and dry.
CCAF Posts: 502
BlossomHill Posts: 2169
All fraud is wrong. It either black or white. There are no grey areas. I would report fraud the same was as I would report litter offenders. There is less money to go round, less tax payers to paytaxes etc, & more people who need it. In this current climate I consider Social Welfare fraud most heinous. I hope that couple have to repay SW with interest!
Miah Posts: 2738
I would never report anyone for fraud. I don't believe in telling tales, of any sort. Can I ask a question though? Those of you who would report someone, what if it were a close relative like a brother or sister? Would you still report them? Or if you knew there was a chance that the person would find out it was you who reported them, would you do it then?
Reporting fraud Miah is not telling tales, it's ones civic duty!
IMO it's telling tales. Not my fault if the SW don't have proper screening/inspection processes in place. If they did, there would be no need for anyone to report anyone. And I couldn't sleep at night knowing what I'd done. It's an extremely petty thing to do and that's just not in my nature. But answer the previous question Blossomhill - would you report a family member? Or would you report if you knew they'd find out it was you?
Reporting is anonymous. I would report a family member but I know it would never come to that. We have ben all been brought up to know right from wrong. Miah, why do you think reporting a crime is telling tales. If you saw a hit 7 run would you report it? If a family member or loved one was on receiving end of crime or an accident, would you not want viewers/passers by to report what they saw ?? Is this still telling tales ???
Firstly, my questions were hypothetical, hence the use of the word "if". I am aware that reporting is anonymous, but if it weren't would you do it? And I don't believe for a second that you would report a family member. [b:epfjeajs]If[/b:epfjeajs] you had a sister with a couple of kids and she and her partner were really struggling to make ends meet, and the only way they could pay the bills while both were unemployed was to say that she was a lone parent, I don't believe you would report her. To answer your second question, really, SW fraud and crimes such as assault, abuse, hit and run etc., where a person gets really hurt or worse, are two completely different kettles of fish. I would be morally obliged to report such incidents, as would anyone. But reporting someone just for the sake of it, I believe, is morally wrong.