We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Giant Underpants Posts: 953
///
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
We went private in the Rotunda on DD and I cant recommend highly enough. The whole experience was excellent. Wouldnt consider any other maternity hospital or level of care. We went with Dr Ronan Gleeson and he was fantastic, scan and pics on every visit, left nothing to chance etc. spent time answering questions, never left you waiting etc HTH (any other q's just ask!!) Best of luck with it all!! Oh meant to say, you dont need your doctors referral if your going private in the Rotunda, you just ring up the private clinic and ask to be booked in under your chosen consultants name. *) Dont do combined care either, by going to all your apps with the consultant you get more scans and a better picture of how things are going rather then your gp with no scan machine and just checking your bp
No probs at all, our consultant was 4k, the VHI covered everything else, this was his fee. At the end of the year we can claim back 20% of this on the Med 1 form. When you ring the private clinic they will ask you what consultant you want (they all range in price), we went with Dr Gleeson because of recommendations from a few family members. If you go onto the Rotunda website there is a section "meet our consultants" and there is a bit about each of them there..... My GP recommended not doing combined care so your getting your full value for money out of the consultant and not only seeing them for half of your visits, it also meant we got loads of time with him and built up a really good relationship with him!
snowbear Posts: 2107
Just my two cents worth... I went private and regret not doing combined care as I get on very well with my GP and when it comes to simple BP and urine checks I'd rather nip into him, just across the road then go into Rtnda, find parking etc etc. Also I think it's good to have a relationship built up with him as he/she will be the doctor I will be using when babs arrives. Just my experience / opinion though!!! I find the care in the Rtnda excellent, public or private. Its busy but there's a baby boom on ; )
wifee07 Posts: 353
Hi there, I had my ds in the Rotunda Private also. My consultant was Carol Barry Kinsella. She was lovely. My sis in law had recommended her and also when my own doc asked what consultant I was thinking of choosing he smiled and said I was in good hands there! I think she was 3.5k? We didn't pick combined care, but my doc used to get me to call in 2 weeks after each visit with consultant so I was very happy there with the care I received. I ended up with an emergency section and cannot praise the staff in the Rotunda hopsital enough. My consultant was so good, a real human touch, I didn't feel like I was a burden to her, or just another number, even though she was brought in at 2am on a fri morn to sort us out!!! Whoever you choose, the Rotunda Hospital is second to none!!
wifee07 Posts: 353
Meant to say, the consultants get booked up fairly quickly, Theres a baby boom on is what i was told when we were trying to decide whether we would go private of semi private!! It was the receptionist in semi private who told us this
[quote="wifee07":3ol0zeg6] My consultant was so good, a real human touch, I didn't feel like I was a burden to her, or just another number, even though she was brought in at 2am on a fri morn to sort us out!!! Whoever you choose, the Rotunda Hospital is second to none!![/quote:3ol0zeg6] +1 you dont feel like your on a conveyer belt and they really make you feel confident in them and the care they are giving you *) Its a fantastic hospital, particularly the staff in the private clinic *)