We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Snotzer Posts: 361
O-O
AHappyMrs Posts: 622
Hi, i had 14wk scan and 24wk scan which were done in Naas - as that's the clinic i attend through the Coombe public scheme, however i have had a further 3 scans done since then in the coombe, which are done if there are any issues during the pregnancy. HTH
Nadie Posts: 1111
Hi jeanieboyle, Just wondering what your 14 week scan was like? Was it just to establish the EDD and done by a sonographer or was it done by the consultant? I got a dating scan at 10 weeks - it was literally just a case of measure the little bean, give you a date and off you go. Then at 17 weeks I met my consultant for the first (and hopefully, last) time and she did a scan where she actually took a look at how the baby was doing. Based on that scan, she signed me out to the care of the midwives for the rest of my pregnancy. I have had one quick scan since then, when I was in with one of the doctors for another reason. From what I can tell, you should get a scan with the consultant at around 17 weeks, and possibly no more after that. Unless they think you're high risk, in which case you'll get an anomoly scan at around 20 weeks. If you're seeing the doctors, you'll get little scans, but not if you're seeing the midwives - they just listen to the heartbeat. If you want an anomoly scan you can get it privately, there are a good few private clinics that offer it. God, I've gone on an awful ramble there, hope it helps.
Snotzer Posts: 361
O-O
They do it all manually! They measure bump with tape measure to see if the baby is large or small for dates, and they feel around with their hands to see what position the baby is in. If you're not happy with this though, you can ask to go to the doctor's clinic instead of the midwives. Just the midwives is so handy and quick, whereas you can be up to 2 hours on a bad day waiting for the doctors. Don't stick with the midwives if you're not comfortable.
AHappyMrs Posts: 622
[quote="jeanieboyle":2ifva0hf]the 14 week scan was just a dating scan, very fast.I am now under midwives care.which i think means no more scans I was just wondering toward the end of my third trimester, how will they check if baby is breech etc?[/quote:2ifva0hf] How far gone are you in your pregnancy?... ive been attending the midwives clinic since my very first appointment. My second appointment was with the Consultant where i had my dating scan and since then ive only ever seen the midwives. I got an appointment for 24wks with the sonographer for an anomoly scan... i dont see why you wouldnt get one to be honest.
Anomaly scans aren't automatic in the Coombe if you're public - I'm almost 37 weeks and didn't get one. I don't know how they decide who gets them and who doesn't.