We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BipsyBoo Posts: 1534
jhjhjl
PrettyWoman Posts: 1233
I understand where you are coming from. I'm giving a plus one to everyone who is coming, but I'm only having 50-60 people and they are v close family and friends. But if I were having a larger do, I would only do it for certain people. I don't think its necessary to do it for the work crowd, as they will be going together, if you know what I mean. Also if you have a few college friends who all know each other (and hopefully get on) then I don't think its necessary. I would always prefer to go to a wedding my my other half, but if its a work do then I don't mind. TBH as long as I actually know a few people and I'm not a billy no mates I don't really mind. Would you think of letting their plus one just come to the afters (if its not too far away) I have turned down two weddings before where I was just invited and not my oh. It wasn't a really close friend, more of an acquaintance, but i honestly didn't know anyone else that was going to be there, so I had to say no.
mrsmcdreamy Posts: 880
i think people will definately understand. they might even be happy as they wont be under pressure to find someone and then mind them for the night etc. i plan on doing the same myself. wouldnt leave anyone come on their own though if they didnt know anyone else like
smurfette2212 Posts: 749
[quote="mrsmcdreamy":9stic7qs]i think people will definately understand. they might even be happy as they wont be under pressure to find someone and then mind them for the night etc. i plan on doing the same myself. wouldnt leave anyone come on their own though if they didnt know anyone else like[/quote:9stic7qs] Snap. We've done the same. I don't think we've any guests that don't know anyone else, but if we have, they would definitely have plus one [I just can't think off the top of my head if we do though!]...any single friends of ours who will know a few other people there won't have... I initially felt slightly bad about it, but then realised I was possibly just being silly!
DipDab Posts: 1172
We have 150 guests and just can't fit in plus ones. If we know someone is in a relationship at the time the invites go out then we'll invite their partner (they'll be names on the invite as opposed to "and guest"). We need to double check the list but I don't think we have anyone who would be totally on their own. Everyone will know other people at the wedding and we'll sit them with people they know.
Kaycee Posts: 2107
I'll also be having singles, i think at the same time it puts pressure on someone who is single to find a 'date' also so it might not always be a bad thing!
Terri1 Posts: 1158
I was invited to 2 weddings without a plus one when i was single...I was raging. The first one I knew no one...how can anyone expect you to go without knowing anyone? I declined as you can imagine! The second one I was the only single one in a group from school...I hated being there on my own...I thought I wouldn't mind as much, but as the night went on and couples got more lovey-dovey, I was mortified sitting there on my own.
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
Is your wedding close to where you work? While +1 may not be necessary for work friends don't forget that they may need to book overnight accommodation and single occupancy rooms are a total rip off. It could work out very expensive for people.
kellybob Posts: 256
I have invited my single friends "plus guest". There are only a few such situations among my guests but I wanted to leave the decision up to them. Either way they will know other people there but if they want to bring someone that's fine with me.
sugarandspice Posts: 2378
i'm doing the same as you aine