Menu

. - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

happyfamily Posts: 3323
I wouldnn't mind if my BM was getting married 5 weeks before me in a different hotel or I wouldn't mind if my BM got married in the sme hotel as me after me but both together!! The same hotel! And just before you! I couldn't do this to one of my friends. I also excluded hotels because other friends were getting married there close to mine.
pink martini Posts: 484
I know I'm in the minority here with my opinion, and I'm not trying to be cheeky, but I honestly don't get the whole thing about the buildup to your day and someone else stealing your thunder or place in the limelight! In the buildup to my wedding I expect to be at work until probably the week before, when i'll take the time off to start running around doing errands, I'll speak to my friends in that time about regular everyday stuff, but I don't expect and never have expected that everyone would make a big fuss about me during the full 5 weeks run up to the wedding, or for however long before that you should be in the limelight. My friends will turn up on the day and have great craic (hopefully) but I can't imagine them ringing up every day before hand, or calling round to see me, to just get excited about my wedding. To them its one day, they turn up, have a nice time, go home and carry on with their lives as before. As for the hen party, none of my BM's came to mine (they're relations who don't know my friends) and I never put expectations on my BM's. They have jobs, and relationships and lives of their own to get on with. And I don't think they'd appreciate me dictating to them what they can or can't do! I honestly think it sounds selfish on your part if you begrudge her HER day. I know I'm biased as I am a b2b with a short engagement. But I have personal reasons why I want it that way, and if any of my friends tried to dictate to me when I should have my day then i know that I could never look at them as a good friend after all this. I'm not trying to be horrible to you, I just am looking at this from the perspective of your friend :xxx BUT like I said before, the hotel thing would really annoy me! As for the date, be happy for her!
yppils Posts: 25
yppils Posts: 25
Jawl Posts: 8881
[quote="8272tot":6j0eq5fr]I mean if she goes ahead with having it 2 weeks after ours, just clearing that up ! :action28[/quote:6j0eq5fr] See I'd rather have it 5 weeks before than miss a close friend/relatives wedding. And it's even going to be shorter time span now for all the overlap of people involved.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
[quote="Jawl":2bf76vws][quote="8272tot":2bf76vws]I mean if she goes ahead with having it 2 weeks after ours, just clearing that up ! :action28[/quote:2bf76vws] [b:2bf76vws]See I'd rather have it 5 weeks before than miss a close friend/relatives wedding[/b:2bf76vws]. And it's even going to be shorter time span now for all the overlap of people involved.[/quote:2bf76vws] +1 to both points, but mainly the BIB
Jawl Posts: 8881
And this is coming from the girl, whose mate rang me a month after we got engaged, which was a few days to go to our engagement party! To tell me her boyfriend of 6 weeks had proposed to her the same day I text her to say I was engaged. And she was just letting me know that she had decided to go public with it and was picking the day of my party to do that! :o0 Edited to say: This girl changes boyfriends like I change my knickers!! I was hopping around the bedroom at home gurning to Mr. Jawl that there's only one girl should be flaunting her e-ring at our party and that's me. Then I calmed down and sent her a reply saying 'Congrats, thrilled for you' and hoped she wouldn't be so rude as to make our night about her. Thankfully somebody we both know told her it was a bit OTT to be announcing her engagement at another engagement party. She did show her ring (which was in her handbag) to a few friends in the toilet. But that made her look bad. And a week after my party?? The guy had dumped her. So in some ways I feel I saved her :o0
Bluelagoon Posts: 650
hmm I'd be fuming at first but then calm down. I would of said I was unhappy about the date and venue being so close to yours and if nothing else could she just change the venue as I agree with others above I would prefer the 5 weeks before than missing out on her wedding. You can look at your husband the whole way through thinking that it will be ye soon enough :lvs She could have her BM dress fitted when getting her wedding dress fitted then have a final try on when she returns from honeymoon (which if she goes for 3 weeks would still be 2 weeks before your wedding). As for hens you will more than likely not get everyone to agree to one date to head away on so you will be missing a few people anyway.
pink martini Posts: 484
[quote="Jawl":2peldiz6]See I'd rather have it 5 weeks before than miss a close friend/relatives wedding. And it's even going to be shorter time span now for all the overlap of people involved.[/quote:2peldiz6] +1 :duh:
peacockgirl Posts: 1312
[quote="Pink Martini":31tbzu1q][quote="Jawl":31tbzu1q]See I'd rather have it 5 weeks before than miss a close friend/relatives wedding. And it's even going to be shorter time span now for all the overlap of people involved.[/quote:31tbzu1q] +1 :duh:[/quote:31tbzu1q] But guys that is the choice of the OP's bridesmaid... not the OP! The bridesmaid asked if the OP minds and she was honest and said that she does. I think it is unfair to blame the OP now if their guests have two weddings within two weeks of each other now. Just my opinion but the same venue thing would really bug me aswell! There are soooo many wedding venues out there.