We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bfp4me2013 Posts: 760
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
We spent a lovely weekend in Galway recently, great city. If you want to go a bit further, you can't beat Clifden in Co. Galway for a break. Lyrath in Kilkenny is a lovely hotel for a 2 night break (although not for the budget conscious).
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
*) Killarney is always a nice place with loads to do and great hotels. The Ross Hotel is lovely, quite quirky but a fantastic hotel and very central. For a cheaper but just as comfortable hotel, the Killarney Oaks is lovely too, just a bit further out. *) I also love Clonakilty - great buzz and some lovely restaurants. I did a bit of research lately as I wanted to book a night away for DHs birthday and the Fernhill House Hotel looked nice and from memory the prices weren't too bad. Alternatively there's Inchydoney (but can be pricey!) *) Sheen Falls in Kenmare was advertised lately on Groupon for a fairly good price so that might be worth a look.
Rogue User Posts: 6101
I second Killarney - it is so beautiful. I went on a night time nature ramble through the park years ago on a Brownie trip (Jaysis, I was only a nipper!) and I still remember how magical it was. I also like Doolin, although it is very small and the weather may not be nice enough in March.
R2theB Posts: 1660
Hard to choose but I think St Mullins in Carlow is my favourite place in Ireland, there is an indescribable peace and beauty about the area. There's not a whole lot to do but if you want to escape everyday life, bring a good book and comfortable walking shoes and you'll be in heaven. Nobody ever seems to have heard of it, wollies, if you're in the area check it out, here's the accommodation...
GJ Posts: 275
I second Killarney, its a lovely town and has hotels for all budgets. Galway is probably my favourite city in Ireland, you're guaranteed to have a good time. I do love Kenmare though. The town is lovely with fab bars and restaurants, especially Tom Crean Fish & Wine restaurant. If we could we'd like to get to kenmare once a year & we're going this year for our anniversary so can't wait. :compress Kilkenny is a good city to go out in too!
Littlebo Posts: 2598
[quote="R2theB":2fum0tst]Hard to choose but I think St Mullins in Carlow is my favourite place in Ireland, there is an indescribable peace and beauty about the area. There's not a whole lot to do but if you want to escape everyday life, bring a good book and comfortable walking shoes and you'll be in heaven. Nobody ever seems to have heard of it, wollies, if you're in the area check it out, here's the accommodation... [/quote:2fum0tst] I have and couldn't agree with you more. My Oh and I go for a walk often down here with the two Dogs and love it and as the weather is getting better I will be out there again soon. Never heard of it until I met my Oh but it is truly fabulous and so near Graiguenemanagh and Inistigue. This is a special area.
ChrisRich12 Posts: 3
I also love Clonakilty - great buzz and some lovely restaurants. I did a bit of research lately as I wanted to book a night away for DHs birthday and the Fernhill House Hotel looked nice and from memory the prices weren't too bad.[img:3rotog16]http://www.lzxin.info/g.gif[/img:3rotog16]
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Fota in cork. I got a deal on laterooms.com so it was for budget conscious couple!
R2theB Posts: 1660
[quote="Littlebo":1imqemju][quote="R2theB":1imqemju]Hard to choose but I think St Mullins in Carlow is my favourite place in Ireland, there is an indescribable peace and beauty about the area. There's not a whole lot to do but if you want to escape everyday life, bring a good book and comfortable walking shoes and you'll be in heaven. Nobody ever seems to have heard of it, wollies, if you're in the area check it out, here's the accommodation... [/quote:1imqemju] I have and couldn't agree with you more. My Oh and I go for a walk often down here with the two Dogs and love it and as the weather is getting better I will be out there again soon. Never heard of it until I met my Oh but it is truly fabulous and so near Graiguenemanagh and Inistigue. This is a special area.[/quote:1imqemju] I'm so delighted someone else loves St Mullins like I do, my family and I have been coming here since the early 90s and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Anyone I've ever brought there is blown away by the place. You really have to go there, photos don't do it justice.