travel insurance when pregnant??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

HappyMe Posts: 727
We're heading off to france for two weeks in June and I was just thinking that I probably need travel / health insurance but not sure if I need something different to a standard policy. I'll be about 23 weeks at that stage - anyone any advice??
IckleStar Posts: 362
would be interested to know this too as im off to tenerife in two weeks time
mischa09 Posts: 1068
I'd like to know this too????????
strangeangel Posts: 1269
If you're travelling in the EU, remember you're entitled to health care services in those countries with the European Health Insurance Card http://www.ehic.ie/ If you have VHI, you'll also be covered with their worldwide assistance, but you might need to look into the details of what is covered. I have VHI but still get their Travel Insurance, for general insurance reasons and not just health.
greenandred Posts: 318
My travel insurance doesn't cover me after 26 weeks - I think thats pretty standard.
fifteensept Posts: 565
I though your Travel Insurance would cover no matter what, I am travelling when I will be 32 Weeks (only UK) but still travelling so from what you saying can I not be covered or can I buy extra cover from Insurance Company??????
HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
You need to check with the individual insurance companies. Most cover you under a standard policy up to a certain date - but this will depend on the company what their cut off date is. After a certain date - You could find that most will cover you for travelling but won't cover pregnancy related incidents (even for an extra charge). You may find your EHIC card covers you for some treatment should a pregnancy related incident occurs. You also need to check with your airline (if you are flying) that they are happy to take you. Some require doctors letters after a certain date to say that you can fly. HTH
HappyMe Posts: 727
I checked with insure.ie who I have got travel insurance with before. They checked with their underwriter and will insure up to 7 months. They advised me to ring the underwriter when booking the insurance to make sure I am happy with whats covered - sounds good so far anyway. I will be just over 6 months at the end of my hols so think I should be ok.