Menu

Travelling with baby... Passport?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

scobette Posts: 1010
Yes you need a passport
stephnyc Posts: 414
his own! http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/tr ... ldren.html
Biancee fiancee Posts: 907
He needs his own. I'd advise you to have photos taken for it asap and get it sorted. My DS is 10 months and getting passport photos for him are proving to me a night mare.. He wont sit still and if he does, he has mouth wide open laughing/grinning, or eyes closed or something. Would have been far easier when he was younger!
delgirl Posts: 1706
If you are travelling anywhere in the UK and you are flying aer lingus you do not need a passport for a child under 16 travelling with a parent. I have travelled twice now without passport for my youngest. However I too would say that it is worth having it - it is only 16 euro plus the 8.50 for passport express if you need it quick and it is valid for three years. If you do travel to the UK do bring a copy of your child birth cert with you - if you don;t have the passport - it is not needed for UK but I often get asked for it at the Dublin side. I have to renew for eldests one now and I am dreading getting the photos organised.
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
[quote="Biancee fiancee":25tpsgp4]He needs his own. I'd advise you to have photos taken for it asap and get it sorted. My DS is 10 months and getting passport photos for him are proving to me a night mare.. He wont sit still and if he does, he has mouth wide open laughing/grinning, or eyes closed or something. Would have been far easier when he was younger![/quote:25tpsgp4] what she said - just had a nightmare trying to get one for my 1 year old. Also note - the forms say you need two photos [i:25tpsgp4]neither[/i:25tpsgp4] of which is to be stamped, but you [i:25tpsgp4]actually[/i:25tpsgp4] need [b:25tpsgp4]4[/b:25tpsgp4] photos, 2 of which are stamped by a gaurd (they have changed the requirmenets, but decided to leave all the old forms out for people to waste their time with). The form also needs to be stamped by a gaurd AND witnessed by another professional eg doctor. Its a pain in the fangitas. We were lucky that my husband is a photoshop wiz so was able to resize some photos from a professional shoot we got for the baby, to make them the exact size and very specific spec they want, but it still took us weeks to get everything in place. This is just for a long weekend in England by ferry! Get crackin asap.
Diamondz Posts: 2208
They are not as strict with the passport photo's for babies. I called into a chemist and had mine done in minutes. DD is most definitely smiling in hers but they were still accepted!!!
Daff Posts: 11644
local chemist told me to lie DD down in the cot on a white bedsheet and take it like that that ie. standing over her. Then if I bring it to them they'll be able to resize it for me. Never got round to doing it though - can't afford to go away anywho :o0
dita Posts: 960
My niece had her passport photos done by a family friend who is a photographer on a white sheet following all the recomendations... to us they were perfect they still refused them, said the then three month old baby was not looking full on into the camera.... So sister had them done in chemist again..photos were pretty much the same and they accepted them This was only two months ago...
justwed09 Posts: 2349
i got my ds passport photos done when he was 6 weeks old and brought him to passport photo shop and they couldnt do it as he wouldnt stop crying. brought him home and dh held him up high against a white wall in our bedroom, i brought the camera to the shop and they resized it for me, photo was accepted, he has a big long face in it but at least it was fine. we went to scotland with ryanair so needed it.
coconut Posts: 2183
They are not very strict with babies pics!! i know alot of people that have lie there babas down on a white sheet and took the pic themselves!!! They do need the 4 pics now i think but u only need the guards to sign it! The only time someone else needs to sign the form is if the guards don't know u and won't sign it without someone else ie doctor signing it!