Travelling with Wedding Dress

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jenz16 Posts: 8
Looking for any advice any prior or future brides can give me on travelling with their wedding dress. Getting married in August at home but bringing my wedding dress from Australia. The dress shop will just be putting it in a normal dress holder so how I chose to carry it on the long haul is up to me. I can either fold it up and put it into a suitcase or carry it on with the hope that the airline will have somewhere for me to hang it up. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. O:o) O:o)
futuremrskelly Posts: 220
Seen one of my friends on FB asking the same thing - she was looking for a hard shell suitcase, but the most reaction was that the cabin crew will hang it up for you on the plane..
lil86 Posts: 3
Hi girls I travelled home with my dress from New Zealand in March. Flew with Etihad. No problems at all hanging it up for me on all of the flights. I also asked flight attendants I know and called the company we booked our tickets with and they all said it would be no problem. I also had it in the suit bag provided by the shop. Got it home in one piece anyway!
Jenz16 Posts: 8
[quote="lil86":9pmttsun]Hi girls I travelled home with my dress from New Zealand in March. Flew with Etihad. No problems at all hanging it up for me on all of the flights. I also asked flight attendants I know and called the company we booked our tickets with and they all said it would be no problem. I also had it in the suit bag provided by the shop. Got it home in one piece anyway![/quote:9pmttsun] Thanks ladies. lil86 did you have to declare it at customs and also your wedding bands?? We are also travelling with Etihad and flying into Dublin.
SinDo Posts: 13
Hi , flew home with Etithad from Melbourne recently for my wedding and no issues! They hung it up for me on both flights! On flight from Abu Dhabi there were 6 wedding dresses on board lol and all were hung up without any issues! I just had it in cover dress shop gave me!Remember to get a receipt so you can claim tax back on it when leaving country!! You can register it online and then just show dress and code govern to you when you are at airport.
Annster Posts: 50
I did Etihad from Perth. Make sure you have a decent hanger as mine snapped in two as soon as I got to my parents house. Also sticky tape your boarding pass to the outside so the staff know you're seat number and you get the right one just in case. My friend was an air hostess and she says it makes their life's easier after a long flight.
lil86 Posts: 3
I didn't have to declare anything at customs. We bought our wedding bands tax free and got them sent to the airport in NZ, so picked them up after going through security. As we were only transiting through Australia so we didn't have to declare anything either. My fiancee had to declare my engagement ring 2 years ago in Australia(which i was clueless about!) as we were staying a few days before flying home. Irish customs was a breeze too. Early morning flight in from Abu Dhabi so little security around at the channels to declare anything. We just walked straight through!