tricky question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
I think I read somewhere (maybe here) that you can get your AF but not necessarily have ovulated. So does that mean the opposite is true- can you ovulate but not get AF (apart from if you are pregnant of course). In other words could you ovulate, not get AF and not be pregnant. Hope that question makes sense!
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
Hey sunnyside, Yes - you can definitely get your af without having ovulated (it's called an annovulatory cycle). Once you ovulate, you will normally get your af within 18 days max (more than likely 12-14 day) - if you don't get your af within 18 days, I think it's pretty likely you're pregnant. I hope that answers your question - you can get your af without having a period but once you ovulate, you will get a period within 18 days unless you're pregnant. :wv
thanks Mrs Peg- I think I am confusing myself and you as well probably :o0 what I suppose I'm wondering is if you ovulate in Month 1 for example, can you then ovulate in month 2 without having had AF at end of month 1. Or does ovulation always = period approx 2 weeks later.
Not at all - sure the whole thing is confusing! Ovulation will always equal your period - unless you are pregnant or if there's an internal problem that prevents you from bleeding (extremely rare - called Ashermans syndrome).
that answers my question mrs peg. I'm waiting on AF after stopping pill and no sign yet- :o( 35 days now.
that's the worst - a lot of girls here can relate to that. because the pill stops you ovulating, it can take a while for the body to kickstart again. give it another while but then go and see your doc - sometimes they prescribe clomid to force you to ovulate. it's still early days though - just hang in there!
Thanks. I know I shouldn't be stressing about it cause its such early days but it wouldn't be in my nature to be patient :o0 I had really bad pains on my right side about a week ago and suspected that it might have been ovulation. But since AF hasn't come I'm worrying that it was a cyst or something and not ovulation. Can ovulation pains be very bad (they came on and off for about 3 days and felt like I was being stabbed- no joke) No pain now thankfully.
Mrs Neadi* Posts: 1128
you should check out the book - Taking Charge of your fertility (or is it taking control - someone else recommended it on here too) it really does help you get a handle on things and what should and shouldn't be happening. And yes, ovulation pains can hurt !! I had stabbing pains last week and 2 days later had them on the opposite side (hope that dosen't mean I ovulated twice, discovery health has a lot to answer for!!) tho - could have been a stitch :o0 did you have any ewcm to accompany the pains - This is the first month i've ever known 100% that i've ovulated, even tho i've been pregnant Ive never actually been convinced i'd ovulated and I think that my cycle is only starting to sort itself out now.
I had a tiny bit of spotting with the pain- and I mean tiny. Initially I thought it was AF starting but spotting disappeared again. so maybe it was ovulation and it was just bad cause it was first month off pill. Suppose if it was ovulation that would mean AF would be due this weekend coming. will wait till then and if no joy considering talking to doc. thanks.
it does sound like ovulation pains (and ovulation spotting) - when ur on the pill your insides just lie dormant, so u forget all the aches and pains! your af might be a little more painful than you're used to aswell. sounds like a good idea tho - wait until the weekend and see if you're af is here, if not, might be worth doing a test. good luck!